Author Topic: Anybody have an old map of Carlisle?  (Read 10785 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody have an old map of Carlisle?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 May 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Emms

I had a bit of a break from family history.  My dad died in February, and the weeks before and after are a bit of a blur really. 

But I'm back again,  so you'll see a bit more of me. 

I don't know much about Carlisle even though it's only an hour away, so any information is greatly appreciated.  My husband's family didn't know about the Carlisle connection until I started digging, so they're fascinated as well.

His family started life there in Tarraby, I've noticed a sign for a footpath there on the road to Newcastle, but don't know anything about it, or if there are still houses there.  One of these days, I'll stop the car and have a wander down there.

Best wishes

Rosemary

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 May 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
Rosemary, put your wellies in the car and park up at the back of the art college on Brampton Rd. The back is Tarraby Lane and you walk up it to Tarraby but it gets a bit muddy in parts. The field on your left is the Hadrians Wall Vallum, a world wide heritage so can't be built on. Further up there are giant "grasses" that grow every year but I haven't been able to identify. Across the last 2 fields(sometimes with horses) and you arrive at the back of the Tarraby houses. 2 old farms have been converted and the rest are cottages/ bungalows. It's all public footpath so you are not trespassing. Left will take you up almost to J44 (M6) and right will take you to the main road, a pub for refreshment then a stroll down to the Art College and car. Geoff will put me right on distance but I would guess about a mile and a half, 2 max. We often used to walk it to the pub in summer and we did look at buying one of the farm apartment conversions. It's lovely and worth the visit.
bob(of the carlisle tourism - only joking - I'm a jam eater really)
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 May 09 13:50 BST (UK) »
I'm a jam eater really)

Wuckinton?

I've a feeling it means different things to different people.  :-\
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 May 09 14:33 BST (UK) »
Rosemary, put your wellies in the car and park up at the back of the art college on Brampton Rd. The back is Tarraby Lane and you walk up it to Tarraby but it gets a bit muddy in parts. The field on your left is the Hadrians Wall Vallum, a world wide heritage so can't be built on. Further up there are giant "grasses" that grow every year but I haven't been able to identify. Across the last 2 fields(sometimes with horses) and you arrive at the back of the Tarraby houses. 2 old farms have been converted and the rest are cottages/ bungalows. It's all public footpath so you are not trespassing. Left will take you up almost to J44 (M6) and right will take you to the main road, a pub for refreshment then a stroll down to the Art College and car. Geoff will put me right on distance but I would guess about a mile and a half, 2 max. We often used to walk it to the pub in summer and we did look at buying one of the farm apartment conversions. It's lovely and worth the visit.
bob(of the carlisle tourism - only joking - I'm a jam eater really)
Rosemary,
If the weather is really bad stay at home,leave the wellies in the car and go too Google earth and check out the street view.
regards,Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 May 09 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the detailed directions Bob - I'll save them for the next school holidays.  I'll spend a day at Carlisle, taking in Tarraby, Backhouse Lane, and maybe the record office (long overdue) to browse through some parish records.

Hopefully the weather will have bucked up a bit by then.

Here in Whitehaven, we call Workington folks 'jameaters'.   But you're right Geoff, there's a bit of a disagreement as to which town are the rightful owners of the name.

Is Tarraby actually on street view yet?

Rosemary

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 May 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Yes Wuckinton but apart from yan, tan, tetherer I've lost the lingo. I was always told that it started during the depression cos the steel works kept Workington that bit richer than Whitehaven (Herr Schon hadn't started his chemical works) so could afford jam but Whitehaven folk could only afford margerine.
Tried to get a photo of the chumley from the other side but it's hard to spot. It could well have been the brewery as there is a sign saying "Danger Hoist" and the building is 5 stories high at that point.
bob

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 May 09 15:22 BST (UK) »
Far end of walk then under the nelson bridge
bob

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 May 09 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary

I'm sorry to hear your news. 

It's nice to see you back on the board though.  I must be slow.  I've just cottoned on the photo is Whitehaven harbour, despite the caption!  A bit more up beat than mine!

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 May 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Thank you for the great photo's.  That gives a much better idea what's going on! 

It looks from the colour scheme as if those are indeed the back of the buildings on West Walls, am I right?

I see vehicles there too.  So I guess I can get the car up.  Is it realistic in a normal car?  Is that a dead end, or can you drive under the bridge?  Thank you for letting me view it from here, thpough.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas