Author Topic: William Harrison & Uniform?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William Harrison & Uniform?
« on: Saturday 06 October 07 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Listers,

Is there anyone able to help me find or explain missing years of William HARRISON.
Born 1875 as William AVEYARD in Pontefract Yorkshire [ he took on Stepfather's surname in about 1880] He married 1869 Northumberland but I can't find William, his wife Mary Ann or son Harper who was born Oct 1900 on the 1901 census  :'( :'( another son was born in 1903

We have a photo of William in some type of Unifrom but it has no badges and he is not wearing a hat...see photo

I would be most greatful for any help on this

Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Harrison & Uniform?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 October 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
Could they be abroad in South Africa? Boer War around that time?

Maybe on Overseas Births.
 :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 07 11:37 BST (UK) »
mmm45,

Thank you for your thoughts

All five sons were born in Northumberland Eng 1900 to 1908..it could explain where William was maybe..but not his wife and son on the 1901 census..
Just don't know were to go from here :'( :'( even though William was my husbands Grandfather we know very little of him.

Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 October 07 13:40 BST (UK) »
Yes looked also
Can only find Harper Harrisons Birth 1900 Castle Ward Northumberland.
Have you sent for the Certificate maybe info on there?

Maybe family accompanied him abroad for a couple of years? I dont know which overseas records would show this.
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 October 07 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi  mmm45,

I have all five sons birth/c..and nothing..If William was in the Army I'm sure Mary and son would not have gone along as well. Mary is not with her parents.

Just so lost on where they were!!
Yonks Ago
Aust

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 07 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Perhaps having a look at the medal cards for the name William Aveyard might give a clue/ring a bell as to his regiment (considering where the family were living at the time):

http://www.rootschat.com/links/021o/

and also there are lots of men with the name William Harrison to mull over:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/021p/

William is wearing the economy uniform of the Great War, I could possibly be criticised, but I am guessing the date to be sometimes round about 1916. His service dress does not give any clues as it is the economy uniform,. In form,  there are no clues on the buttons which appear to be general service issue. And, although he is wearing shoulder titles we can't see them from the angle of the photo.  Do you have any other photos of your man!!

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 October 07 07:18 BST (UK) »
atom12,

Thank you for your reply to my query.

Can I ask what would the Medal Cards tell me so as I can define it to William Harrison/Aveyard?
Would he have gone over seas?

I'm thinking that the surname he used would have been Harrison.

I have looked at the "Archives" but not gone as far as viewing the M.Cs as like you said there are many William Harrisons.

No I don't have any other photos of William in uniform.

Sorry about all the questions, as we know very little of him and have some years missing around 1901 census, we didn't know that he was in the Army until the photo came to light, only knew of him as a Coal Miner.

Many thanks
Yonks Ago