Author Topic: UNDERTAKER/Photo  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
UNDERTAKER/Photo
« on: Sunday 07 October 07 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Listers,

Can anyone help me with this query please.

I have posted a copy of a photo of family members out the front of their home around 1948/9 on the wall behind them is a sign D.Davies Undertaker Boards kept here.

Would my family member have worked for D.Davies? the address could have been North Row West Sleekburn, Olympia Ave Choppington or Glebe St Choppington.

Many Thanks

Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: UNDERTAKER/Photo
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 07 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Yonks Ago

There is a strong possibility that the photograph is of 8 Francis Villas which is the next street up from Glebe Terrace, Choppington.  I was very fortunate in being able to talk to local neighbours who remember a Mrs Jane Cairns who lived there and kept the boards for the funeral directors - very probably David Davies who had at least one address in 4 Front Street Bedlington (Kelly's Directory 1921 and 1938).  I have further information regarding the D. Davies Undertakers if you are interested.  I hope this is of help to you.  A big Thank You to the kindly neighbours of Francis Villas and Glebe Terrace of Choppington who spent time and effort sorting the information for me.

J.A.

SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 07 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Northerngirl,

Thank you so much for getting back to me regarding my query on UNDERTAKER/Photo and also the people from Choppington that help you on this.

Sending a P.M. to Northerngirl.

Again thank you.

Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 10:35 BST (UK) »
Not the Cairns and therefore not no. 8 Francis Villas.  Ah well back to the drawing board.

J.A.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same