Author Topic: where can she be ?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline buddysmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where can she be ?
« on: Sunday 07 October 07 16:18 BST (UK) »
hi all can any one help me
My Great Grand Mother Maria Scott who married a Forster then a Hoskings died in 1909 in Chatham union workhouse hospital .
She had not been in the workhouse as she was living with her son , she was probably thaken there when she was ill?
The thing is i cant find where she could be buried. I have had a search done some time ago but had no luck
Did the workhouse have some where  people who whould not have had any money to still lay there family to rest.
Thanks for any help  :D
eves/eve/ellmer/ elmer/wisdom/isted/stead/page/forster/scott/young/
holmes/chown and many many more

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where can she be ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 07 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Buddysmum

You say that you have had a search done but you didn't mention where.  Have you tried Medway District Council? http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/community/burials/cemeteries.htm

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline buddysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 07 17:19 BST (UK) »
hi I had a search done by Medway Crematorium 
They searched all the local council and church sites and drew a blank

I have also searched medway city arc thats why i thought about the work house grounds ?
I know that she was Welsh but did not think they would have money or means to return her there

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 07 05:41 BST (UK) »
Buddysmum,

I recently purchased the death record for one of my ancestors and was saddened to learn that she had died in the Chatham Union Workhouse.  I wondered if her family had been there, too.

I wrote to the Medway Archives and, for a small fee, they sent me a copy of her entries in the Admissions and Discharge Book from the workhouse.  It showed me that only she was admitted, just eight days before she died of tuberculosis, so I know that she went there to die in the hospital.

They probably have the entries for your great-grandmother, as well.  However, that won't tell you where she was buried. 

Do you know what her religion was?  You said she was living with her son before she entered the workhouse.  Where was the son living?  Do you have her exact date of death?

P.S.  City Ark has a project called, "The Way of Death".  They have started scanning and uploading images of more recent burial registers.  Hopefully, they will have the Chatham area done soon enough, so you can go through the images yourself for free.

The most recent update says, "Plans to film and scan the Medway Council municipal cemetery registers (Gillingham Grange Road, Gillingham Woodlands Road, Strood St. Nicholas, Rochester St. Nicholas and Chatham Maidstone Road) in collaboration with Kent Family History Society (KFHS) and Medway Council Bereavement Services Section are in hand."

I personally can't wait because a lot of my folks will be listed!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline buddysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 October 07 16:12 BST (UK) »
hi josephine
thanks for your reply   my greatgrand mother died on the 3rd of january 1909 she had been living at 1 osbourne cottage in gillingham [ pier road ]
From what i can find out she had a accident and was taken to the union
workhouse hospital where she died.
What good news about Medway city Ark cant wait for that to be ready to use.I  also have lots of family in the medway towns and it will make life so much easier.
Thanks for telling me and your help
Kind regards

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 07 03:02 BST (UK) »
You're welcome, Buddysmum!

I've spent many wonderful hours going through the baptisms and marriages in Gillingham, New Brompton, Chatham, etc., and have built a large family tree using those plus the census records.  It's great fun!

Now I'm looking forward to being able to search more recent burial records, as well.  Oh joy, oh bliss!

Since your great-grandmother had been living in Gillingham, I wonder if she was buried in Grange Road Cemetery there?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters