Author Topic: Warner Green: Baptism look up please: Completed...thankyou  (Read 4010 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Warner Green: Baptism look up please
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 October 07 14:05 BST (UK) »
I've just found that I have Whitteridges from Old Warden/Haynes in my tree, so I've spent the last couple of days trying to understand them, using a combination of the parish register transcripts for Haynes and Old Warden, the NBI, and the IGI!

I think the Mary Elizabeth baptised 1834 age 26 must be Mary born 16 Aug 1808 as recorded in Cotton End  Independent and Baptist Church book, daughter of William and Martha

I am slightly perplexed by Martha in Peerless Row in 1841. I am not totally convinced that her age is 55 rather than 35, which would make her a sister rather than the mother (but there's no Martha born c 1806 as far as I can see, and no burial in Beds of Martha senior). Who I assume to be her husband William was still living in Haynes in 1841 age 55, and in 1851 he was a lodger at Ashwell Herts age 67 describing himself as a widower, so it seems as though they separated. I see there's a FreeBMD death of Martha Whitteridge in Sept quarter 1850 at St Lukes - I don't suppose you have the death cert Tricia to see what age is given?

One of the earlier Whitteridges married a Sarah Carter at Haynes in 1720 - not a Carter that the Carterfinder is seeking? If you'd like a report which I've compiled which takes the Whitteridges in Haynes back to c1665 I'll send it to you if you'd send me your email address via a Personal Message - I'll attach it. Your Whitteridges are rather easier than mine -  William's birth was recorded in Cotton End church book. My lot are, I believe, his siblings, but with no births at Cotton End it's difficult to prove it, although there are references to them on A2A and on BLARS site. But I'm pretty confident as there was only the one family in Haynes at the time.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 October 07 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had another look at the 41 image for Martha - I still think it is more likely 55 than 35, very tricky given its missing top but general shape does seem more akin to his 5s than 3s, close call. Do agree it's Peerless rather than my Pearly though!
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline carterfinder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 October 07 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Thanks for your kind offer, I will send my email address to you. I don't have a cert for Martha's death but I will send for it.
Tricia
Carter:Crutchfield:Cranfield:Edridge:Fisher:Green:Grinnall:Hill:Hogan:Mose:Mowbray:Penn:Perry:Trett:Wakeman:Whitteridge:Williams:Wynn

Offline carterfinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 October 07 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi David 

I am working my way through the impressive amount of information you sent me. You have definitely fleshed out the information I had and you have also highlighted a mistake I have made.

many thanks
Tricia

Carter:Crutchfield:Cranfield:Edridge:Fisher:Green:Grinnall:Hill:Hogan:Mose:Mowbray:Penn:Perry:Trett:Wakeman:Whitteridge:Williams:Wynn

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 October 07 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia

Since sending you the report I've found another child of John and Susannah - she doesn't add very much as she had no children, but she does help fill that gap between 1812 when her parents married and Martha born 1818. There may be more to come out of the woodwork:

Mary Whitteridge was born in 1815 at Old Warden, Beds (as with the rest of her siblings she wasn't baptised in the established church so all births are deduced from census ages - unlike many of my ag labs she obviously knew her birth as her census ages are very consistent!).  She married William Wilson on 12 Mar 1837 at Old Warden.

I can't see her in 1841

She appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of William Wilson at Wooburn, Bucks; William Willson head marr 39 baptist minister b Gosmore, Herts; Mary Willson wife 36 b Warden. 
She appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of William Wilson at Riseley, Beds; William Willson head marr 49 baptist minister b Gosmore parish of Ippolitts; Mary Willson wife 46 b Warden. 
She appeared on the census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of William Wilson at Billingborough, Lincs; John Wilson (must be an enumeration error) head marr 59 baptist minister b Gosmore; Mary Wilson wife 56 b Warden. 
She appeared on the census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of William Wilson at Peterborough, Northants; William Wilson head marr 69 baptist minister b Gosmore; Mary Wilson wife 66 b Warden Abbey.
She appeared on the census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of William Wilson at Clifton, Beds; William Wilson head marr 79 baptist minister b Gosmore Herts; Mary Wilson wife 76 b
Old Warden; Martha Whitteridge wife's sister 73 b Old Warden (it took until 1891 to link her via Martha to the rest of the family!)

They certainly moved around a lot

Regards

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline carterfinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 October 07 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Thank you for this further information. You seem to have this detecting work down to a fine art.
I have found a record of a will in 1762 for William Whitteridge naming Elizabeth. There is also mention of leases being granted for two cottages in 1724 for Ann Whitteridge (widow) and John (wheelwright) and again in 1841 to John Field (yeoman) and John Whitteridge (yeoman)

regards
Tricia