Author Topic: A Land Owner or A Farm Worker?  (Read 10877 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: A Land Owner or A Farm Worker?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 09:50 BST (UK) »
Brother in those days also included what we now call brother in law.  The term brother in law meant what we now call step brother.

Since Hannah was a Smith, this probably means one of Joseph's or Hannah's siblings married a White. 

It does appear to be a working farm capable of supporting them if there was a farm servant.  Have you managed to work out who occupied the same "farm house" in 1871?  You ought to be able to do that by starting from a fixed point, example a named propertyand following the enumerators walk.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SouthernLight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 10:25 BST (UK) »
It does appear to be a working farm capable of supporting them if there was a farm servant.  Have you managed to work out who occupied the same "farm house" in 1871?  You ought to be able to do that by starting from a fixed point, example a named propertyand following the enumerators walk.

David
It is difficult to find a fixed point, as the enumerator has only recorded the road name, not actual house names.  On the 1861 at the bottom they have recorded Seas End Chapel, so I'm trying to find that on the 1871.  I have found Seas End road, which appears to be the next road after Railway Station Road so I think my theory there is right, but now I'm wondering if in 1861 the whole road was called Seas End Road, and only later did part of it get renamed to Railway Station Road.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 10:57 BST (UK) »
The details of the enumerator's walk should tell you whether there was a Station Road in the early years.
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline SouthernLight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 11:00 BST (UK) »
No luck so far.  1861 starts at Seas End Road, and 1871 starts at Railway Station Road.  I'm not sure I know how to match the properties up without finding a common property in both and I haven't managed to so far.

Thanks for your help... I'll try again tomorrow night!

Cheers

Leah
(in NZ)

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
hi,

Have lists of Bapt. to 1853, marriages to 1857 & burials to 1904,  what I copied of fiche.

Not got marriage of Joseph & Hannah at Surfleet, though Joseph seems to have been a regular witness from about 1832.

Baptisms.
29/11/1835  Ann Maria d. of Joseph & Hannah Tupholme  Surfleet  Farmer.
7/4/1839 William Seymour s. of Joseph & Hannah Tupholme  Surfleet  Farmer.
10/12/1847 Joseph Smith s. of Joseph & Hannah Tupholme  Surfleet  Farmer.
6/10/1849  Mary Booth  dau. of Joseph & Hannah Tupholme  Surfleet Farmer.
25/5/1851  Mary Booth dau. of Joseph & Hannah Tupholme  Surfleet  Parish Clerk.

Burials.
11/10/1849 Mary Booth Tupholme  Surfleet  Inf.
16/11/1861 Thomas Smith Tupholme  Surfleet Seasend  4.

Marriage.
Charles Smith Hargrave  bat. Lab. of Surfleet, Father John Hargrave  Gardener  & Ann Maria Tupholme (minor) sp. of Surfleet, Father  Joseph Tupholme  Farmer.  Wit. Joseph Tupholme & Maria Tupholme.

If you have any more names for Surfleet let me know and i will see what I can find.

Barry
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 11:44 BST (UK) »
Two further thoughts.  Would the 1873 return of the owners of land reveal anything and is there a tythe map of the appropriate period?

David

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 13:12 BST (UK) »
Two further thoughts.  Would the 1873 return of the owners of land reveal anything?

I don't think so - the only TUPHOLME who had land in Lincs lived in London.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 13:24 BST (UK) »
Two further thoughts.  Would the 1873 return of the owners of land reveal anything?

I don't think so - the only TUPHOLME who had land in Lincs lived in London.

You miss the point.  The return shows not only the owners but also the tenant and might point to who owns or farms the land in 1873 by identifying a name other than Tupholme but associated with the family.  I realize that identification would be hard because the location is not identified in the return.

David

Offline SouthernLight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 09:48 BST (UK) »
Two further thoughts.  Would the 1873 return of the owners of land reveal anything and is there a tythe map of the appropriate period?

David
How does one get hold of that kind of information?  I'm thinking that it would be unlikely that he would be named in a return of 1873 though, since he died in 1871.  Was there an earlier one?

I did find a William TUPHOLME "innkeeper and farmer of 12 acres" in 1871 on SeasEnd Road, but the age doesn't match Joseph's son William, so I'm thinking it might be a cousin or something.  This William was living in Spalding as an Innkeeper in 1881.