Author Topic: William Overton  (Read 2598 times)

Offline dragongirl

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Overton
« on: Tuesday 09 October 07 15:05 BST (UK) »
 Hi, my great grandfather William Overton was born in Bucknell Shrops in 1836 approx. He married my gt grandmother Susanna Grafton and they lived and  brought up their family in Leominster
  In 1901 after Susanna`s death . William was living in Leominster with his unmarried daughter Eliza (my grandmother), her single brother Thomas and a deceased brothers child Daisy
  my grandmother moved to Wales and married in Dec 1904 taking Daisy with her. William remarried and this was before Thomas emigrated to the USA where he arrived in 1905.He said his father married a lovely lady that they all  knew""from the next village"Now hereford and Leominster have no marriage for a William Overton aged  65 yrs or therabouts during 1902/1905 Nearest seems to be Madeley Shropshire  can anyone say if Bucknell is near to Madeley I know there`s a Madely in Herefordshire but this definately Shropshire
 Apologies for rambling on but trying to sort out the facts

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Overton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Bucknell, Shropshire is nearer to Leominster than Madeley which is just south of Telford.

Have you used  FreeBMD or the full index?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dragongirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
HI Gadget thanks for your reply/
    The Records offices in Hereford and Leominster did a lookup for a marriage for William Overton between these dates anywhere  in their areas as I couldn`t find one either They both came back with March 1902 William Overton John james Oliver Two brides Emma Jones and Emily Jane Nicholas!!

The family in America say she was Em or Emma so could be either . one was a widow the other a spinster Surviving son  of Thomas now in late eighties insists she was from the next village so I assumed next village to Bucknell but he also says she was a friend of both Susannah( born in Humber Hereford,)and William.He didn`t move very far away but have failed to find a death for him either, My mother was born in 1913 and she never heard her mother mention her father so  trying to tie up
a Madely bride !!!! Keeps me out of Mischief

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 20:31 BST (UK) »
I'm not as familiar with the Southern Shropshire/Hereford bit as the north  :-\ I'm wondering if they did a little trip to Madeley for some reason - maybe Em's family or whatever  :-\

I also recall a similar request in the last year  - not sure if it was your William but my brain cells are ticking and I can't find it in the Search facility  :( :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is the Eliza OVERTON 1904 marriage the one in Bedwelty, Monmouthshire?

If so then I wonder if her father moved there or he could have been visiting, I found this death,

William OVERTON  Age: 78    Sep Q  1914  Bedwelty  v.11a  p.77

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline dragongirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 16:13 BST (UK) »
 Hi Daisypetal,
        That  marriage is my grandparents ElizaOverton and James Heapey in Dec 1904  My Grandad died in 1913.   when my mother was 4 months old .My grandmother remarried in 1916
and William is on that cert as Agricultral Labouer.no deceased!!!
                     The William Overton death was a Shopkeeper living at Abertillery Road, Blaina I agree the ages would be correct at 78 years old but unfortunately can`t tie him in
              Thanks for your input

Offline dragongirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
   Nothing wrong with your Brains cells as soon as you mentioned it I remember Posting for a Marriage look up about February. My mother in law was taken ill the same month and we spent  the next 6 months back and fore to Wales- Hospital visiting etc until her death in August so everthing was put on hold
             I thought Madley Hereford too   but both Offices assured me there were No marriages for William Overton within 1901 and 1904 in their areas and was told definately Madeley Shropshire. I`ll have to sent for this cert to see if it proves its my Gt Grand dad Thank again for you ideas

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
Brain cells will be there after the rest of me is worn out  :D

I've always had a good memory - all those party games and mental exercises in school  :)

Sorry about your mother -in -law. I've been through this as well 18 months ago so sympathise  :(

Good luck

Gadget

Here's the link, in case anyone want to check:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,211265.0.html