Author Topic: How big a place is west Felton, or Rednall  (Read 5255 times)

Offline slewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How big a place is west Felton, or Rednall
« on: Tuesday 09 October 07 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hello all
  Can any one please tell me how big a parish West Felton, Rednall is.
As the name of the family I am looking for is Davies, and as you know there were a lot of Davies.
I have had some luck with the census, but now I am looking for my G G Great grandfather  ? Davies,  I have no name for him, my G G Great grandmother was Elizabeth ? she was born abt 1771 in Myford, all I do know is that they had a son John born abt 1803, Samuel born abt 1804, Richard born 1806 all West Felton. My hope is the Parish is small and may have a chance of finding them.
If any one can give me some advice on were I should go from here I would be very grateful. Or is it a needle in a hay stack
                                  Regards Sue
Povah Liverpool,wrexham
Kelly, Manchester, Yorkshire
Crook Liverpool, Bolton
Yeo,Barrow in Furness, Stoke Damerel

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How big a place is west Felton, or Rednall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 16:38 BST (UK) »
Dont know the area but a quick google locates the 2001 census information
http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/factsfigures.nsf/viewAttachments/JMLE-75UADB/$file/2001-census-ward-population-density.pdf
which shows that Shropshire county has 283,173 people and
Ruyton and West Fulton (one category) has 2,577

not sure how that would have equated 150 years ago though, but makes interesting reading
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 16:39 BST (UK) »
may need to type the address - or just google west fulton population and look for the right one - as the address seems to be too big to link properly - if someone can fix it please do
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue there's some historical figures on British History Online
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50960&strquery=west felton#s10

Offline slewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello all
   Thanks for your help, I will look at the site
                 Regards Sue
Povah Liverpool,wrexham
Crook Liverpool, Bolton

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
West Felton and Rednal can both be found south-east of Oswestry, Shropshire. 

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/WestFelton/index.html

You can view the parish registers on microfilm at the Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury - which would be the next best thing for you to do ;)

Could you post the census details that you already have for your Davies family so we can take a look?

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 17:16 BST (UK) »

I am looking for my G G Great grandfather  ? Davies,

It will be extremely difficult for you to search without a christian name, so I suggest that you start with yourself and work backwards, obtaining the relevant certificates along the way.

John born abt 1803, Samuel born abt 1804, Richard born 1806 all West Felton.

Which one of the children is your ancestor? 

If you post details of your grand-parents first, then maybe we can help you to work back :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline slewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Lloydy
  my great grandfather name was Thomas Davies born West felton abt 1842.

On the 1851 census he is with his father John Davies  an Ag Lab born west Felton  abt 1805, mother Jane born Habberley 1804. Thomas grandmother is living with the family she is Elizabeth Davies born abt 1771 Myford shropshire.
They are living in Sutton Shropshire.

On the 1841 Census you find John  this time  born abt 1807, and his family living with his mother Elizabeth and brother Samuel, and brother Richards is next door with his family.

As I said I have been able to find them on all the census its just that I would like to know who John father was, but I dont think I will get up to Shropshire any time soon, but thankyou for telling me were to go when I do get there.

Thankyou  for your time and help
                                       Regards Sue
Povah Liverpool,wrexham
Crook Liverpool, Bolton

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 17:01 BST (UK) »

Hello Sue

If you do get chance to visit the Archives I can thoroughly recommend it as a great day out.  I'm sure you will be successful in finding your Davies ancestors in West Felton.

However, you could always telephone them as they will do a 10 minute look up for free (and have been known to go over the 10 ;)).  The staff are extremely helpful, so give it try.

Full contact details are available on the website (click on the link in my earlier post).

In the meantime, it would be useful to get Thomas' birth certificate to confirm parentage, and also Mum's maiden name.  I'll see if I can find it in the BMD Index.