Author Topic: Lincolnshire Romanies  (Read 13137 times)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire Romanies
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 October 07 21:35 BST (UK) »
The search may well not yet be over. You may yet find a link in the next generation back or something. It wasnt unheard of for the Rom to settle if they married into a gorja family even way back then. Good luck hunting!!

Offline sorcha65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks An, just out of interest, I have found a link to a Brown family. Is that a Romany name? Sorcha

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 October 07 08:22 BST (UK) »
Yep. Im related to one of the Browns. Hard family to trace tho - tell me more :)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 October 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
Just out of interest here are a few Rom names linked to Lincolnshire:

Heron/Herron/Hearn/Hearne/Herring etc
Boswell/Boss
Young (Herons and Bosses under a different surname)
Winter/Winters often alias Smith or Pierce/Pearse
Gray
Elliott
Brown
Smith
Wilson
Rhodes
Shaw
Loveridge
theres more but that will do for now.

The Herons and Boswells, and Bosses all intermarried, also marrying with the Smiths and Grays, a few marrying into the Winters/Pierces/Wilsons/Browns and so on and so forth.
Winters reputedly cam from North East, The Shaws and Loveridges and Herons from the midlands - Northants and East Anglia, the Rhodes came from Hull (far as I know) the Bosses loved Yorkshire. The Grays one branch settled in Cams and East Anglia, the other in Lincs, The Elliotts from Notts, and the Smiths were everywhere.

Offline sorcha65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 October 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
The Brown I m on about would be from the Spall side, therefore from Suffolk - I know this is  a long shot cos Brown's a well common name. Sorcha

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 October 07 21:07 BST (UK) »
Remember Rom are from everwhere - Suffolk could well be a place for a  Brown to turn up.

I know of only a few Browns. There was Thomas Brown married Lydia Cooper (or Smith) travelled around the East Anglian area for sure, and his brother Bui (spelt in so many ways you wouldnt believe) married Lydia Smith and they travelled Lincs and East Anglia (but had no children from what I could see). They were sons of Rachel Heron and Jack Heron/Baker/Brown (and possibly other aliases).
There was a Francis Brown who travelled round Lincs/Yorks and all that area with Unity his wife,
and there was my great great great Gran Mary Brown married Thomas Smith and had my great great Gran Deliah who married Samuel Gray.

It certainly isnt an impossibility that a Brown in Suffolk could be one of that lot. They are very hard to trace tho!.

Offline sorcha65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 October 07 12:26 BST (UK) »
Yes they would be lol! I ve had no luck with this side of the family at all! Funny thing is on my Mums side I have a lot of the Romany names you mentioned! Have you ever heard of the name Hoyle in connection with Romanies - it would be in the Yorkshire area. Sorcha

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 October 07 18:33 BST (UK) »
Nope, but that doesnt mean that a Hoyle didnt marry a Rom somewhere at some time. It only means Ive not come across it personally.

Offline Luceaddisoncoggle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 September 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I have been looking for some of my family whom I believe were Travellers in and around the Lincolnshire/Norfolk area. I have been unable to trace whether this is true and would love to know a bit more about them and where they came from.
The marriage certificate of my Great grandparents (Priscilla Smith & Thomas Addison) has the named fathers James Addison and Amos Smith but I have been unable to trace either of these.
If anyone else has been researching and come across these then I would love to hear from you.
Many thanks
Luce