Author Topic: 1801 Census - East Sussex  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Kwest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1801 Census - East Sussex
« on: Wednesday 10 October 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
I have two images on my computer, showing two pages (number 116 & 117) of the 1801 (yes, 1801!) census of the village of Hooe, in East Sussex.

From the layout and the page numbering I would say that they have come from a book but I have no real idea where I got them from - did I pull them down from the Internet or did I scan them in from a book? I really have no idea but I hope that some one may (and I know it's a long shot) be able to tell me.

The "modified date", on my computer, is 30/11/2004, so it's some time back.

I can't see how this can help but the next parish, on p 117, is Horsted Keynes.

Thanks in (eager!) anticipation.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1801 Census - East Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 07 14:53 BST (UK) »
According to http://www.histpop.org.uk/pre41/listings_a.pdf and "Pre-1841 Censuses & Population Listings" by Colin R. Chapman there is no 1801 census of the village of Hooe in Sussex

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
It is actually the 1801 Census for Ticehurst, but apparently does not name all persons. See http://www.genfair.com/shop/pages/pbn/page01.html

Censuses for Ticehurst are also available for 1811, 1821and 1831.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kwest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 07 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Stan.

I've looked again at the images and, while, in 2004, I identified them as being the 1801 Census of Hooe, I now believe that they most probably aren't.

Whatever they are, they're certainly of Hooe and they list names of people I know lived there at about that time. They are pages 116 and 117 whereas the 1801 census for Ticehurst is (from what I've seen on the Internet) only has 20 pages.

However, I realise now that the heading above the columns are "Owners", Occupiers", "Lands", and "Rental" so they seem to be copies of pages from something such as a Rates Book.

Where the 1801 comes in is, at the top of the page, in the image. are the following:

Area: 2,473 a         1801: pop 424          Inh. Hses: 51

I think that the 1801 is what persuaded me, in 2004. that it was a census!

I apologise and I should have checked further before asking the question. However, thanks for your reply as it has made me look again!

I now appear to be looking for a Rates Book or similar!

John