Author Topic: Parish Records Hounam or Hownam, Roxburghshire  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Chorlton

• RootsChat Member
  • Proudly born in Hyde
    • View Profile
Parish Records Hounam or Hownam, Roxburghshire
« on: Thursday 11 October 07 03:39 BST (UK) »
I am trying to confirm if an Andrew COMMON married Agnes Sharp on 23rd May 1749 at Hownam, Roxburghshire.

And then if Richard COMMON was born or baptised on 31 Jan 1757, as one of their children.

If anyone was able to confirm this, I would be grateful.

Chorlton -  Ashton Under Lyne, Cheshire/Lancashire
Common - Halifax, Yorkshire & Scotland <a href="http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,198195.0.htmll">Common One Name Interests</a>
Clegg - Yorkshire
Barber - Ashton Under Lyne, Cheshire/Lancashire
Hadfield - Ashton Under Lyne, Cheshire/Lancashire
Whitley - Yorkshire

Any census information that I have included is Crown Copyright, as per: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/legal/copyright.htm

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records Hounam or Hownam, Roxburghshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 07 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Scotlands People, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk have all the extant OPRs online.Both of these events are listed there on the dates that you say. If you go to the site you can view the copies of the original images and download them.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Chorlton

• RootsChat Member
  • Proudly born in Hyde
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 07 23:59 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Thanks for that info confirmation.

I have just registered with Scotlands People, and see that the Richard Common born 1757 in Hownam, is the only one showing in all of Scotland during 1745-1760.  I have been told that there is another one that may be correct for my tree.

Do you know if Scotlands People has ALL the records online for that period ?

I have also just checked the indexes for his marriage, between 1860 and 1885, and cannot find any.  I did however find two marriages on 28 Nov 1779 in Kelso that are in his wifes maiden name, Margaret Armtrong.  But they don't appear to be to him.

I think that Armstrong must be a more common name than COMMON :)
Common - Halifax, Yorkshire & Scotland <a href="http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,198195.0.htmll">Common One Name Interests</a>
Clegg - Yorkshire
Whitley - Yorkshire

Any census information that I have included is Crown Copyright, as per: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/legal/copyright.htm

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 07 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

As far as I am aware the SP site has all the available OPRs - Church of Scotland -  if they are in a good enough state to digitise. If there is another then it is likely to be non-conformist (of various faiths)  and not sure if any of those records survive for that area.

Can you clarify the dates of his marriage  - do you mean 1760-1785?

The marriage might well be by declaration and would not appear.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline borderterrier4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 07 00:50 BST (UK) »

Offline Chorlton

• RootsChat Member
  • Proudly born in Hyde
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 07 00:56 BST (UK) »
Oops, yes I did mean 1760-1785 :)  I'm not having a good day, my computer crashed while replying, and I retyped a bit faster, but not as accurate, when I got back on.

Their first child is showing on Scotlands People, Thomas Common at Castleton on July 15 1780.  I am guessing they would have been married by then, but others have put the birth of the Richard Common who married Margaret Armstrong at about 1849.  Hence covering it by checking a larger date area.
Clegg - Yorkshire
Whitley - Yorkshire

Offline borderterrier4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 October 07 01:23 BST (UK) »
 THOMAS COMMON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 15 JUL 1780 Castleton, Roxburgh, Scotland

Parents are Richard Common and Margaret Armstrong.

Margaret

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 October 07 08:46 BST (UK) »
Oops, yes I did mean 1760-1785 :)  I'm not having a good day, my computer crashed while replying, and I retyped a bit faster, but not as accurate, when I got back on.

Their first child is showing on Scotlands People, Thomas Common at Castleton on July 15 1780.  I am guessing they would have been married by then, but others have put the birth of the Richard Common who married Margaret Armstrong at about 1849.  Hence covering it by checking a larger date area.

If the Richard who married Margaret was the one we found in 1757 then he would have been 23 when Thomas was born. The one born 1749 might have been a first born of Agnes and Andrew and subsequently died :-\ Unless there are MIS, deaths are pretty difficult to find at that time.

I'll go take a look - the only Richard Common bpt in Scotland on SP between 1740 and 1757 is the one we have identified.

Gadget

Offline M Carter

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 November 07 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chorlton,
                     Gravestone at Castleton Cemetery.
In memory of Richard Common tenant in Craig who died April 8th 1827 aged 78 years and Margaret Armstrong his spouse who died at Stonegarthside Hall Oct 7th 1824 aged 66 years also John and Helen Common their children who each died in infancy and Walter Common their son who died Aug 4th 1804 aged 3 years.
Thus Richard Common was born in 1749.
There are more Common gravestones at Castleton.
Morag
Telfer, Mair, Andison, Elliot, Murray, Turnbull Castleton.  Riddell, Hawick.
Bell, Ewes, Langholm area.
Martin, Wilson, Elliot. Teviothead.