Author Topic: John Ashton 1871 Census  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Ashton 1871 Census
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 October 07 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've searched the complete GRO Birth Indexes 1866-1868 and not found an entry for William ASHTON in the Registration District of Thanet (which includes Ramsgate, Margate, Broadstairs, Minster and Sandwick).

Regards

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline johnna j

• I am sorry but my emails address is no longer woring
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 October 07 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,
Thanks for looking at all those indexes for me. it's appreciated
William Ashton and his Father John are just one Big puzzle and they are the only Ancestors which I have never made any progress on since I started my Tree three years ago.....Give up.....NO!
Poor William had to be born somewhere, and my idea of looking for a John Ashton in the 1871 Census with a 4 year old son called William is the only option left, I'm afraid.....Anyway, everyone on this Forum has helped and I'm grateful for that.
Regards
Johnna J
Johnson  England/Sweden
 Baxter  Norfolk
Nevins  Northumberland
Armstrong  Northumberland
Rutherford  Northumberland
Backhouse  Essex
 Bland  Durham

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 October 07 11:01 BST (UK) »
JJ,

A couple of snippets, but negative rather than positive...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

William gives his birthplace (i.e. Ramsgate) to two different census enumerators in two different place ( C1891 4057-63-54, C1901 4802-130-29)

So this seems good indication that he was born Ramsgate
(enumerators recorded either "place" of birth or "parish" of birth... Ramsgate was both "place" and "parish"... so he could have been born in Ramsgate town or within the wider parish of Ramsgate, but outside of Ramsgate town... but that does not change Helen's info on Thanet Reg District covering Ramsgate)

But his birth registration is hard to come by ! So then was he registered without a first name (registered before his baptism ? ) or was he registered under a different surname ?
e.g. imagine William's mam has him before she was married to John Ashton ??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine William born in Kent in c1867 ( he was consistent with his age on C1891 and 1901 1 ) His next known "footprint" is his appearance as an unmarried quarry labourer in Trimdon Grange Colliery on C1891, then his marriage in Newcastle in 1895, then three children born Byker, then onto North Shields for C1901 ( Charlotte is in North Shields, not Tynemouth ! )

There is no indication that his parents married up north, then had him in Kent, then returned northwards ??

Your search should maybe cover any John Ashton with any named wife ( have you any indication of William's mother's name, 1st or sur ? ) Or even just any 4 yr old William Ashton with widowed mother. Or any 4 yr old William any surname, covering possibility that John Ashton died not long after William's birth, say before C1871, and his mother remarried by then. There are some examples of children of a dead father been given the surname of the subsequent step-father, but reverting to their birth surname in maturity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the constitution of the household on C1901, it seems that William and Margaret ( nee Rutherford ?? ) named the three children, using names from her family ( she had a sister Minnie, a sister Mary Eleanor and her dad was Joseph.)

Although the English Naming Pattern was beginning to die out by 1900, the convention required parents to name their first son after his father's father...  JOHN in William's case ! Unless the couple lost children, before C1901 ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Dixon
Newcastle
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 October 07 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi johnna j

What was given as John ASHTON's occupation on William's Marriage Certificate?

Regards

Helen K

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline johnna j

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 October 07 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael
Thanks for your very interesting reply, I've said this before, you always come up with wonderful snippets and I don't believe in this case that they are negative at all
You have given me a lot to work on and I also believe William was born within the wider parish of Ramsgate.
I have no info on Williams Mother and perhaps she did have him before she met his Father John Ashton
I have already started to link any John Ashton(your idea) with a 4 year old son, and found only one family, but they were all born in Warrington, However, I changed this to looking for any William Ashton born 1867 and I found this interesting info...
C1881 William Ashton, aged 14, Father, WILLIAM? Mother Sarah
Where born, London, Civil Parish Margate St John, County Kent
Registration district Thanet,
This is interesting info and perhaps an unlikely situation, but did Williams Father Die and Sarah married another Ashton, or ,Williams Brother. It's got to be considered and more research to be done.
What do you think Michael
Anyway, I intend to take every aspect of your letter and look at your points and act on them, thanks again.
Regards
Johnna J
Johnson  England/Sweden
 Baxter  Norfolk
Nevins  Northumberland
Armstrong  Northumberland
Rutherford  Northumberland
Backhouse  Essex
 Bland  Durham

Offline johnna j

• RootsChat Member