Author Topic: ENDEAN Family  (Read 23837 times)

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ENDEAN Family
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 February 08 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Well I certainly take your point ...!  I'm not sure I would have made anything of that - if I had not seen the transcript previously - it would have gone down in my notes as a question mark .......!  But you can see how easy it was to accept the transcript must have been right, having just looked at it?  Maybe if I do get to Truro I can persuade them to get the original register out .......

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 February 08 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Boy oh boy would I love to go there....Green with Envy

Here is a Jeffrey. J's not as distinct but I thought it a good one to show how he wrote the ff..........To my eye it is the same.

Kris  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 February 08 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - I agree about the "ff"s!
You may be green with envy - but at least you have the fiche at hand ......!!  Too long looking at these very old registers on fiche and I have to lie down in a darkened room!  Not easy when you are in the middle of the Record Office ...!

Offline chewiebeast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 February 08 23:30 GMT (UK) »
To be honest (and coming from someone used to transcribing this stuff) I'm not completely sold on her initials being J J, there is just something not quite right about it. I can see why it may have been transcribed as a 'D' though if this is the case, its written a little clumsily - plausible given the slightly scruffy calligraphy. the end is defintely 'ffaril' theres no way its Jeffery. I think we need also bear in mind a lot of names back then have since gone extinct, and there were some doozies way back when!
It could be a J, but I'd hate to choose between that and a D - its the tail on the letters, one sweeps in a narrow tail, the other is a thicker, sharper stroke, I'm glad the vicars in the parishes I cover as OPC had neater handwriting!
regards
Damien

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 00:20 GMT (UK) »
I tell you what Damien, I may have to eat my words here. You may well be right.  ::) Yesterday I wouldn't have given tuppence for it being a D. Nothing like the D in December, which are clearly D's. I was convinced it was a J. Saw what the transcriptions said but was sure they were wrong and what I was looking at was J and ff. Sitting here all morning photographing the reader and studying, I tell you what where he uses a D in a persons name it is very different to his D's in December and very much like his J's. (sloppy as you say, no downline) So if it is a D we have Daffaril, another nothing name  :-\ hohum. I didn't really think it was Jeffery - that was the only similar looking name I could find, so idly wondered if Rector may have been having a bad day and had just entered it wrongly..........Kris  :D

Offline chewiebeast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I meant to say, find a name that definitely starts with a D and compare it. Given what you've said, I think its likely to be a D. The OPC transcribed it as Dasparil, which I'm not convinced by, so will ask her to take another look at it - GOd knows I've been picked up on enough for errors like this!
Not good really - I took a look at the early Constantine records earlier and they are unfortunately far worse! My advantage is I have digital scans rather than fiche, here's hoping it helps!
regards
Damien

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 11:37 GMT (UK) »
OOHH Digital Scans = the mind boggles. How on earth do you get those? I dream of being able to play with these things on the puter. How much easier it would make things. You lucky devil. I am sure we would be able to work a lot more things out in these PR's if we could use the computer. With the early records the writing is oh so small (Not telling you anything you don't know  ::).........Kris  :D

Offline chewiebeast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The advantage of being an OPC :)
We get CD's sent to us, thanks to a contract we've got with the LDS - they take months to get here mind! Can't share them however, so can't help you with them - contractual violation and all that :)
I meant to add before that the double F could be a red herring as well - double S was also written like that for convention, some sort of flourishy effect!
I got picked up on iyt when I started, since Sithney has a lot of Russell's, which I'd dutifully transcribed as Ruffell! I got picked up on it and had to change the lot! So it could be Dassaril - not that it makes any more sense!
You haven't found any more of her family at all to compare with?
regards
Damien

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 12:02 GMT (UK) »
That is very good of them Damien.  ;D

At least we agree the two letters are the same...LOL. I did think of the long s. Unfortunately I couldn't find an instance of him using a ss to compare - though he does use a long s. Just felt it looked the same as Jeffery, the way the double letters join.

Kris  :D