Author Topic: ENDEAN Family  (Read 23839 times)

Offline Pedro_the_Pom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ENDEAN Family
« Reply #45 on: Friday 13 June 08 11:02 BST (UK) »
I'd like to throw my potential Andeans into the ring.

I have an Elizabeth Ann Dean born in Tregony, who married William Roberts in Gerrans in 1834, died in Treluggan, Gerrans in 1890. I couldn't find any likely Deans, so I'm guessing that she was really Elizabeth Andean.
Censuses have her birth from 1801 to 1812. I have her tentatively as Elizabeth Andean christened 1807 Gerrans, daughter of William and Mary Andean.  William from Cuby with Tregony christened 1782 son of Henry and Catherine or 1783 son of Thomas and Priscilla. William married Mary Smyth of St Stephen in Brannel in that parish 1806. I have Elizabeth's siblings as Frances 1814 and Henry 1817 both in Cuby with Tregony.

I have asked this question of [CORNISH-GEN] and spoken to the Gerrans OPC Bill O'Reilly about it, he says that the marriage record definitely say Elizabeth Ann Dean, and I'm waiting on the LDS microfilm arriving at my local LDS History Centre to see for myself.

Anybody care to rip my theory to shreds?

Peter (a newbie on this list but not a total newbie to the game)
Cornwall: Tregunna, Emmett, Quintrell, Roberts, May, Grieve, Leverton, Andrew, Andean
Kent: Relph, Ralph, Springett, Carr
Sussex: Relf
Wiltshire: Willis, Wilkins
Glamorgan: John, Jenkins, Thomas, Morgans, Macnamara
Manchester: Gorton, Plummer
Dorset: Frampton
Somerset: Down, Bowden

Offline chewiebeast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 13 June 08 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've come across this before - it is probably Andean. Its a case of the vicar was told her name was Elizabeth Andean and wrote it as Elizabeth Ann Dean - they never checked these things! I transcribe parish registers and am a colleague of Bill O'Reilly, being the OPC of Sithney, Porthleven, Constantine and Mawnan and can tell you from experience that you get these all the time!
Since William had a son Henry, I'd opt for him being the son of Henry & Catherine, so its worth getting in touch with the Cuby OPC, David Crocker, to get back further
regards
Damien

Offline Pedro_the_Pom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 13 June 08 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Damien

Just a small correction to my original, she was christened in Cuby with Tregony, not Gerrans.
Someone told me that the vicar was the one from Philliegh, not the local guy, which increases the risk of name confusion.
I will double-check my facts and then get onto David Crocker. I think that this is going to take a lot of 'ruling out as many people as possible' and then seeing who is left.

Thanks

Peter
Cornwall: Tregunna, Emmett, Quintrell, Roberts, May, Grieve, Leverton, Andrew, Andean

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 14 June 08 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

A big welcome to RootsChat and the Cornwall Board.  ;D

I have had a good scout about and I can't spot another alternative. I like the sound of it.  ;D

I too see no Elizabeth Ann Dean. The name doesn't appear to be from the area. Easy to see this could happen. I wonder if she signed the register. I was a little concerned with Elizabeth being born in Gerrans, when she consistently states she was born in Tregony, but when I checked the IGI I note she was baptised in Tregony so all fits nicely. She certainly wasn't terribly helpful with the census as to her age, but like you I can only spot the daughter of William and Mary 1807. Hope seeing the original is helpful with a signature or witnesses. Good Luck........Kris  :D

PS: aha glad to see you are aware she was baptised in Tregony. A rector from "away" would be a good sign  ;D  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pedro_the_Pom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 14 June 08 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris

Thanks for your welcome.

From the OPC transcription of her marriage she and William both marked and the witnesses are Arthur Thomas and William Menear, nothing informative like a Dean or Andean.

I did look into this situation a while ago and then moved on to other branches, but someone pointed me to Roots.Chat yesterday and the Endean thread was the first one I saw.

One general question, is it normal for threads to get jijacked or should I have changed the Subject line?

Peter

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 14 June 08 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Pity about the full entry. I was still looking about and just saw it. I am a bit behind the 8Ball.

The lady was consistant with a birth in Tregony and there are just no Deans in the area at that time, though many Andean's - that is until we get nearer the time of Elizabeth's marriage, where I found a burial of a child - Elizabeth DEAN aged 1+ on the 28 Mar 1833.  :-\ Wondered if it may have been suspicious, but on looking further I note a family is there in 1841 John born outside Cornwall, Ann and their children born Cornwall. 1851 they are in Veryan. John from Guernsey, Ann and the Children Tregony and Veryan. Wondering if the same rector had been dealing with this family, who were around Tregony since before the time of Elizabeth's marriage, he may have been easily swayed to Elizabeth Ann Dean.  ;)

John DEAN = Ann ROWE 8 May 1831 Tregony

Changing the subject line would not help. We are an internet forum not a mailing list. We don't work the same way. It would still be a part of this thread. Generally we would advise to start a new thread. Damien's post was quite general so I am sure he didn't mind. You just wanted the opinion of others with an interest in the name, so a good way to initially attract their attention. I can easily split it off...............Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pedro_the_Pom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 14 June 08 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris

Thanks for giving this some of your time. I've just looked over the Online Census Project for the Deans you mentioned and I agree that they don't appear to be associated with Elizabeth ch.1807. As you say lots of Andeans and Endeans and Indains. Although there was a Dean couple in Truro.

I think that my next step is the Tregony OPC

If you're  happy to leave this in the same Endean thread then so am I.

Cheers

Peter

Offline chewiebeast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 14 June 08 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think Kris has covered all the bases Peter :)
The surname Dean doesn't occur much in Cornwall, but all those names you mention like Andean, Indain etc - its all the same family. It totally threw me initially that there are so many variations of this one name!
Next step is definitely the Tregony OPC, his transcripts will have been taken directly  from copies of the originals, and he is a highly experienced genealogist, far more so than me. Then again, most OPC's are - they're all old, I'm only 29! :) heheheregards
Damien

Offline Pedro_the_Pom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 14 June 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both.

I've emailed David and I'll get back to the forum if anything comes of it.

Cheers

Peter
rather more than 29 ;)