Author Topic: O'REILLY of Scariff  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
O'REILLY of Scariff
« on: Friday 12 October 07 19:09 BST (UK) »
HI
MARGARET ANNE O'REILLY
married  MICHAEL  B O'SHEA 1883 IN CAHERCIVEEN
her  father  was JAMES 1832
i  know this is a long shot but any help welcome
berni
O'Shea. Tailors of Caherciveen. Co Kerry Eire.
Dempsey. Bute dock police. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.
Cadden. Granard, Co Longford, Eire.
O'Brien. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: O'REILLY of Scariff
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 October 07 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Berni,

I'm not certain how much it will be possible to discover about James O'Reilly as Civil Records of BMDs in Ireland did not become compulsory until 1864. The same may apply to Margaret as it looks as though she was born prior to that date.

If there's anyone other than Berni looking for the O'Shea name in Cahirciveen (Cathair Saidhbhín), which means "town of Little Saidhbh", it may help to note that this town has a number of alternative spellings Cahersiveen, Caherciveen  and Cahirsiveen. Click here for details of the Parish of Caherciveen.

There aren't too many members looking for ancestors from Scariff at the moment. Click here for a little bit
of the history of Scariff. The Community Council in the town produce an online Newsheet. I'd a look at the November 2005 edition and noticed a letter written by Herbert Patrick O'Brien about his trip to Scariff to visit his grandmother, Margaret Guerin, during WWI. The letter was submitted by Herbert's grand daughter, Kath Woodley. It's worthwhile having a look at local Newsheets as many contain similar little gems.

Christopher

Offline bobstree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'REILLY of Scariff
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 07 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Berni,
Margaret & Michael are my GG-Grandparents.  I have their marriage certificate and some more info including what is believed to be an old picture of her.  Let me know what you are looking for.
Bob