Author Topic: girls using wrong paternal surname at marriage  (Read 1926 times)

Offline chafox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
girls using wrong paternal surname at marriage
« on: Saturday 13 October 07 11:15 BST (UK) »
hi everyone,
 ???
I've come across something weird done in my traveller ancestry a couple of times now.
I'll give you an example.

In 1876 at her marriage to Charles Whitehouse, Elizabeth Clayton, daughter of  tinker Major Clayton of Pelsall, called herself Elizabeth Holland, and him Major Holland.

I have the family n the censuses, living right next door to Charles and his wife, and I know I'm right.

So why do this?

And another example: At the marriage of Christina, daughter of Isaiah Whitehouse, Charles' brother, she is using the name Stackhouse, not Whitehouse.

Although this last one could mean that she was just born out of wedlock what on earth was the first example about?

Has anyone else come across smilar instances of flexibility in surnames  and maiden names like this in their gypsy and tinker ancestry?

Puzzled look!   ???

Terry
Whitehouse  -Pelsall: Norton canes
Kirby - Hillmorton, Warks; Ashby Leics
Lloyd - London, Surrey, Birmingham
White - Frowlesworth; Narborough, Leics
Deeming - Walsgrave, Corley Warks; Hoxton,London
Bray - Sapcote, Leics
Bentley,Whitehouse - the potteries
Paxton Adkins - Claydon and Cropredy, Oxon
Cooper - Coventry, Hoxton London
Opperman - Limehouse, Hannover
Duffey - Bristol, BVrighton, Marylebone
Davis - Landkey, Ilfracombe, Devon

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: girls using wrong paternal surname at marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 October 07 18:32 BST (UK) »
oh yes, often. Aliases werent uncommon. Often its a case of using whichever parents surname suits at the time (sometimes to avoid the law of the land). Wives surnames instead of hubbys, even grandparents surnames sometimes.

Ambrose Smith spent his latter years as Ambrose Reynolds - Reynolds being the first name of his wifes father!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 October 07 22:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, me too.  I found a 19c newspaper report that lists about four aliases for the same woman, other families who used one name in the census but another for birth registrations and so on - the aliases usually being a clue to their origins somewhere along the line.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 October 07 22:58 BST (UK) »
I think you will find even today many travellers have more than one surname which they use at their convenience.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 07 08:08 BST (UK) »
I have a family that I am yet to find the marriage of the parents.  The baptisms of the girls in particular show father a, and it is usually a different father for each girl (for those I have managed to find that is!) and then when it comes to marriage certificates of their own they show father b and again each girl has a different father!!!!

Very confusing and puzzling.  The odd thing is the name they tend to use on their marriage certificates is Lovekin.  The next generation down change this to Luffkin.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....