Author Topic: Wilton from Co Derry  (Read 9763 times)

Offline shikenu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilton from Co Derry
« on: Saturday 13 October 07 15:35 BST (UK) »
I have posted this message on a couple of other boards without success so now trying here.

I am trying to trace the ancestry of Sir James McElmunn / McIlmunn Wilton as I understand he was a second cousin of my grandmother. I have some to a dead-end with my great-great-grandfather Alexander Wilton, and I am hoping that I can go further back with the family tree by taking this ‘detour’.

Alexander Wilton married Barbara Walls in 1862 and lived in Coleraine apart from a short period when they lived in Ballymena. I managed to find their marriage certificate but unfortunately it does not contain the name of his father. Alexander Wilton was born around 1840 and died in the late 1880’s, possibly 1887.

Their children were Mary Jane Wilton (married John Hamill), Lavinia Wilton (married Henry McNabb), Martha Wilton (married John Gough), Alexander Wilton (died young), Ellen Wilton (died young), Barbara Wilton (died young), Marcus? Wilton, Lily Wilton (married David Thompson) and John Wilton ( no information on John but as far as I know he married and had a family).

If my grandmother was correct then the grandfather of James ‘Jemmy’ Wilton was the brother of Alexander. My grandmother also said that the founder of Wilton the undertakers was a second cousin, his name was William Wilton and I have recently discovered that James and William were brothers. Sir James Wilton played football for Ireland winning 7 full caps from 1888 – 1893 and from 1914-1945 he was the IFA president. He fought in World War I as a captain in the Royal Irish Regiment's 36th division and was badly wounded at the Somme and was awarded the Military Cross for bravery. After the War he went into politics and served two terms as Lord Mayor of Derry from 1935-1939, he was knighted in 1937 and died in 1946.

The only birth certificate I have been able to find for a James Wilton born at the right time and right place show his parents to be James Wilton and Sarah McIlwain but I am NOT sure I am on the right track here. This James Wilton was a coach trimmer and his father, Daniel was also a coach trimmer. My Alexander Wilton was a whitesmith at one stage and a coach builder.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any helpful information

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilton from Co Derry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 October 07 15:50 BST (UK) »
May be connected?: Coleraine Chronicle lists son of David Wilton born 27 Oct.1864 at Alma Row, Coleraine. Same paper- Margaret, age 58, wife of Thomas Wilton, died suddenly 25 May 1869 at Coleraine. Also- Isabella, 2 yrs 10 mo., dau. of William Wilton, died 7 Oct.1866 from scarletina.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shikenu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 October 07 16:03 BST (UK) »
Wow that was quick!

Thanks very much, I will see where the dates fit in the family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 October 07 16:36 BST (UK) »
Londonderry Sentinel- son of James Wilson, Leckey Rd. Derry born 21 Nov.1868.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 07 23:20 BST (UK) »
found this birth. JAMES WILTON 21-11-1868 CITY OF DERRY, DERRY, IRE.

parents. JAMES WILTON & SARAH MCILMUNN. (his middle name)

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline shikenu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 07 09:32 BST (UK) »
Mary

Thank you very much, that is very helpful. It clears up a doubt I had about birth details I had got from Emerald Ancestors. The details were for James Wilton born 21 Nov 1868 to James Wilton and Sarah McIlwain. I wondered if McIlwain had been incorrectly transcribed, with W and M being confused. I will now look for their marriage details and hope to find the name of the father of James Wilton (Senior). The address is given as 14 Leckey Road, Derry which ties in with the previous post with details from the Londonderry Sentinel

Thanks again to you and to "aghadowey"

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 October 07 10:18 BST (UK) »
i found some more info that might be of some interest to you.

marriage. DANIEL WILTON TO MARY THOMSON 4-10-1834@ NEW ROW PRES. CHURCH. COLERAINE, CO. DERRY.

birth. ROBERT MCELMUNN  WILTON 9-10-1874 DERRY.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 October 07 10:26 BST (UK) »
i found some more info that might be of some interest to you.

marriage. DANIEL WILTON TO MARY THOMSON 4-10-1834@ NEW ROW PRES. CHURCH. COLERAINE, CO. DERRY.

birth. ROBERT MCELMUNN  WILTON 9-10-1874 DERRY.

birth. WILLIAM MCELMUNN WILTON20-1-1872 DERRY.

parents. JAMES WILTON & SARAH MCELMUNN.

i think the marriage you found is theirs.

regards mary.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline shikenu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 October 07 17:17 BST (UK) »
Mary

I can't believe how much information you have been able to find in such a short time. Thanks so very much. Robert Wilton is a new addition. I now have the marriage of James Wilton to Sarah McIlmunn on 3rd Feb 1868. They were married in Ballyarnett Presbyterian Church.

From the marriage details his father was Daniel Wilton. Both James and Daniel were coach trimmers, my Alexander Wilton was a whitesmith and later a coach builder. I originally thought that Alexander and the father of James Wilton Sr were brothers but going by the dates of their respective marriages, Alexander in 1862 and James in 1868, they may have been brothers. Alexander and Barbara had quite a large family and a Sarah Wilton was present at the birth of their son Alexander when they were living for a brief time in Ballymena.

Going back to Mary Thomson. This is interesting as my grandmother's bridesmaid was Maggie Thompson and my grandmother always said they were cousins. My dad thought this was perhaps a relationship by marriage as Alexander's youngest daughter married a Thompson in 1901 but my grandmother and Maggie were close friends from they were toddlers together. The other thing is that the first born child of Alexander Wilton and Barbara Walls was named Mary Jane. From Barbara Walls pension records I found that her mother was Jane Hale, so it makes sense that their daughter was named for both grandmothers, with possibly the other one being Mary Thomson. Now I just have to prove it!!

Alexander and Barbara were married in a Roman Catholic church in Coleraine (I don't know which one), their first few children were baptised in the Catholic church and the rest in the C of Ireland. It was a mixed marriage but I have no idea why half were Catholic and half were C of I. Alexander must have died in late 1880's and Barbara died on 18th April 1933 - we have her obituary from the Coleraine Chronicle.

One the marriage certificate for Alexander and Barbara, the surname of the witness for Barbara is listed a McGowan. At the bottom there is this comment: Rev S Walsh MGR 2nd Witness recorded as "a Magowan's girl". Would you have any idea what that would mean?

Thanks again so much for your input.