Author Topic: GLASSON Ireland or Cornwall?  (Read 7712 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
GLASSON Ireland or Cornwall?
« on: Saturday 13 October 07 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't help but notice how many of the Glassons there are in Cornwall.  My gr gr grandfather James Glasson b1798 was from Ireland, and moved to Cumberland around 1822, settling and marrying up here.  There are very few Glassons up here.  I know of only 2 families with that name within around a 40 mile radius.

I did wonder just why James came here, and didn't go or stay with the rest of his family.  I don't know which part of Ireland he was born.

I wondered if anybody knows how far back the earliest Glassons were recorded in Cornwall, and whether they were all originally from Ireland.  Or maybe my gr gr grandfather's family were from Cornwall, moved to Ireland, then he moved here.  It's all very confusing.

I have been to Newquay on holiday for the last two years, and enjoyed lots of beach days down on Crantock beach.  I noticed there were Glassons in Crantock at one time.

Rosemary :)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: GLASSON Ireland or Cornwall?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 07 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary,

I can tell you the name Glasson goes way back in Cornwall. (Certainly extracted records go back to at least the 1540's) I do not know anything of Irish names to know if the name also has much of a history there, but on checking IGI I see extracted records only back to later 1600's and a bit of guesswork earlier - certainly not the abundance there are in Cornwall.

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 07 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks, re the above, there is a village called Glasson in Co Wesmeath, Ireland, it is located near Athlone, slightly in a N/E
direction, could be the home opf some of your ancestors ?.
                                                 Bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 07 10:05 BST (UK) »
I can tell you the name Glasson goes way back in Cornwall. (Certainly extracted records go back to at least the 1540's) I do not know anything of Irish names to know if the name also has much of a history there, but on checking IGI I see extracted records only back to later 1600's and a bit of guesswork earlier - certainly not the abundance there are in Cornwall.
Irish records would not be as complete as English records which might account for the fact there are more Cornish Glassons on IGI than ones from Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 07 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies ;D

I will probably never find out whether he was from Cornwall or Ireland, or why he decided to settle here in the first place.

Rosemary :)

Offline glassoncornwall

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 00:52 GMT (UK) »
I
I wondered if anybody knows how far back the earliest Glassons were recorded in Cornwall, and whether they were all originally from Ireland. 

Hello Rosemary,

I came across your message this evening and it interested me because I have been asking myself the same question but in reverse. My husband is descended from the Cornish Glassons but I did not know where the link with the Irish Glassons came. I have read information which states both areas came first so would be really interested in knowing for sure.

However, I also noticed your great great grandfather moved to Cumberland.  I do not know if you are aware of a small village on the Solway Firth, overlooking the Scottish Mountains, a few miles from Carlisle called Glasson.  We were in the area last summer and trying to find out why it was called Glasson but no-one locally seemed to know.  Also in the area there was a brewery operating from Penrith called Glassons and near Maryport, Cumbria (very near to Whitehaven) an industrial estate called Glassons.  Is this anything to do with your great great grandfather?  I would love to know more as this has been a particular dead end for a long while.

Best wishes,
Carole

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 08 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Welcome to Rootschat :)

I meant to reply on Tuesday, then forgot - I apologise.

As far as I know, the other Glassons in Cumbria aren't connected to my gr gr grandfather, but I suppose they could have been.  I'm sure he only came here for the coal-mining, maybe diverted from Cornwall.  But he definitely had Ireland as his birth-place and was here from at least being 22 yrs old, being born around 1799.  There were no other relations of his up here, as far as I know.

Did you mean Glasson Dock near Maryport?  I always wondered if it was connected to us, probably not.

Anyway thanks for replying

Rosemary

Offline macglasson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 09:58 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this so I don't know if this is appropriate or not but I was curious about the earliest use of the surname Glasson and this topic popped up.
So I offer this piece of information - I recently came across an article about Dumfries which has the following under the heading of The Local Economy - 'The Dumfries Customs Book of 1578, the earliest complete one we know of.........Duty was paid by Adam Gibson, Edward Edzar(Edgar), John Johnstone and Thomas Glasson on nearly 200 stones of "voll" (wool)'

If anyone knows of an earlier recorded use of the name I would be pleased to hear from them.

Offline thomasglasson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 June 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
As far as i know the Irish Glassons (came from O'Glassain) came over to Cornwall...

The O'Glassain derived into Gleesons and Glasains, Glassons etc.