Author Topic: LUXULYAN look up please  (Read 2367 times)

Offline tamm2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LUXULYAN look up please
« on: Sunday 14 October 07 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have a bit of a mystery to crack in my family tree.  My ancestor was most probably a man named Sobratta (Subrata) Trengove/Trengoffe and he was christened at Luxulyan in 1789.  Apparently the entry reads that he was East Indian and of Mohametan parents.  After much discussion with some people we think that it was a good possibility that he was probably a servant in the Trengove/Trengoffe family and took on their last name when he was christened/converted as an adult.
Anyway, what I would love to know is, were there other Trengove/Trengoffe people in the Parish registers at this time (or earlier) that I could have as a possible family he may have belonged to.  If I can have any names to work with I might be able to try to discover if they travelled at all....though I'm not sure how!!
I would also love to know if there may have been a burial for Sobratta/Sobaretta/Subratta/Convratta in Luxulyan between 1796 and 1802.  He may have possibly changed his surname to Trengo by this stage.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm unable to travel to an LDS centre and order in the films myself.  Thank you,
Tam

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: LUXULYAN look up please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 07 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Tam,

A big welcome to RootsChat. An interesting entry for sure. Hard to read

Sonvratta TRENGOVE a native of the East Indies born of Mohametan Parents was baptised 11 Dec 1789 Luxulyan

I see no marriages of any Trengove's in Luxulyan in this era - A couple of Tregonnen, Tregonning, (From outside Luxulyan) one Tergonning and one Treliven are the nearest names I see.

The only Baptism for anybody with a name anything like Trengove is Sonvratta's

There is no burial listed that I can see either I am sorry to say. How sure are you of the time period and parish of death? I did check from the baptism to a few years after 1802 and do not see anything looking even vaguely it (and the entries are resonably clear) The name Trengove does not appear to be a Luxulyan name. Sorry I could not be of more help...............Kris  :'(
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 07 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,
Thank you so much for replying.  It's a very confusing and difficult family to track and we really are doing a lot of guess work!  Sobratta (various spellings!) married Ann Broad at St Neot.  They had Marian Trengoffe who I'm fairly certain is my ancestor.  They also had a son who didn't survive infancy.  The reason why I think he died is because an Ann Trengo remarried at St Neot as a widow in 1802 and a Mary Ann Trengo married Thomas Matthews in 1817 at St Neot.  They were the only 'Trengo' entries.  I think they may have changed their name perhaps to distinguish themselves from the Trengove/Trengoffe family.  There was a Trengove farm/manor at Warleggan and Illogan I think at the time.  There is no record for the death of Sobratta in St Neot at all, which made me wonder whether perhaps he was buried in a town where he had come from or that they might have moved back to a town he had lived in....a lot of long shots and guesses at this stage but all I can do is hope to find another piece of the puzzle!!  I really appreciate your help so much, you've been so kind to check that for me and it helps a lot to check a town of the huge list!!  If you have any suggestions or advice I would really appreciate it, have a great day
Thanks again,
Tamara.

Hi Tamara,

Nice to hear back from you. I am going to post your message here in case anybody else is able to help. Hope you don't mind. You certainly have an interesting ancestor but I can see very hard to get any information on him. I do love that baptism entry. How exciting. (Looking again at the writing in the entry, there is deffinitely no b. With the letter I transcribed as p yesterday, I felt there was a downstroke but I now think that was because the top of the d in Indies curls underneath it making it appear to be more closed in and have a downstroke. I now think the letter is actually an n, so am going to change my mind and make the entry Sonvratta which is not in your list of possible variants but another one to add and I will change my transcription accordingly)

One would think with the marriage, children's birth and wifes remarriage in St Neot  any burial would have been there. As it was not perhaps worth checking the neighbouring parishes such as Warleggan, Cardinham and St Cleer. (Perhaps try Warleggan first as there was a Trengove Manor there) I am certain it was not in Luxulyan under any variant and am unable to help with these parishes.

If there was in fact a burial one thing in your favour is you only have a short time frame to search. Unfortunately there is no general indexing for this period so you will need to check each parish individually. Of course with Sobratta coming from such a different type background and with no idea of when or how he ended up in Cornwall there is the possibility he may have just vanished. (Even returned to his homeland and died there)

Good Luck. I hope you find it.........Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tamm2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 07 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kris, you've been very kind, here's hoping he will turn up somewhere!
Tamara.

Offline Lucy Couch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Just wondered if you found any more information? I'm trying to confirm if his wife is my 5th grandmother but like yourself I have been unable to confirm it without finding any kind of burial information.  Ann Trengo a widower from Warleggan, Cornwall, England married John Hodges in 1802 St Neots Cornwall. It all sounds too similar not to be but would like to find out a bit more first, any updates greatly appreciated!!
Lucy