Author Topic: Rhos Farm Llanferres  (Read 8984 times)

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rhos Farm Llanferres
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat, the Abode on Margaret's baptism is F or T ? ? Rhos Llanferres.
 I think by now Barry you can see you're not doing the proverbial Grand FATHER and eggs :)
Anything else let me know.

Paul.

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Rhos Farm Llanferres
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat

Here is a link to some pictures of Llanferres, including the Druid Inn and the School building referred to by Barry

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=1787618

Geograph is a wonderful resource for any of us researching from afar - pics & OS maps together - can't beat it!!

Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 01:32 BST (UK) »
I have been looking into some friends' family and their ancestor, Joseph HARVEY was schoolmaster at Llanferres in 1851 until 1861 though he was not at home for the 1861 census (still trying to find him!). 

He seems to have left there in the 1860s, unfortunately the log books for the boy's school are too fragile to view so only seen the girl's school log books.

Some of the Geograph pictures linked are mine.

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Barry1936

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat.   Found!!!    Rhos Cottage was the stables for the mines until the 1880's when it was bought by a family from Cheshire who still run it as a farm.  Rhos Farm was/is Rhos Isa, on the opposite side of the road to Rhos Cottage.   There is quite a long explanation which I have posted with some photos to your hotmail account.  Could not resist posting here for the benefit of other listers, a delightful photo of Llanferres

Barry
Hepburn - Clerkenwell, Islington, Limehouse, Grays, Northumberland, Derby, Warwickshire
Cowell - Stanford le Hope, Erith, Orsett, Grays
Powell - Sheppey Kent, New Zealand
Williams - Llanferres, Clwyd, Denbighshire

Offline izzybella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 20:51 GMT (UK) »
hi i am just beginning and i i amsituated in flintshire i know my family were based in cheshire and north wales does anybody have any info on the surname chaloner?? i noticed the mention of a police constable from rhos farm with the name chaloner??

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 December 09 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Izzybell - Have the 1881 census for Llanferes, my grandfather worked at Rhos farm as a bailiff..

John Chalonor (police constable) dob 1841 born Llanarmon, Denbighshire.
Joanna (wife) dob 1839 born Llyn Y Pand Flintshire.
Children
Joseph H 1866 Coedpoeth Denbighshire.
John Jas 1872   same
Mary E 1876      Same
Arthur L 1878    same
William E 1880 Llanferes.

Address at the time Rhos Cottage.

Hope this helps to start your search..and welcome to Roots chat  ;D you will find plenty of help on this site especially the Wales site  :D lots of luck.

patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 December 09 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to add.. :o they had an Elizabeth Lewis living with them dob 1817 (widow) place of birth Gwinear Cornwall.

All the best patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 December 09 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at the 1871/2 6" map

Going South down the present main road

There are two long buildings on West side of the road marked National School with Bench Mark on Northern end of the Southern building.

Then short road joins from the West

South of that road is a roughly L shaped building with two small outbuildings

Slightly South of there on the East side of the road is Rhos Cottage marked.   This has a T shaped building with base of the "T" fronting the road.   At the top of the "T" there seems to be a small yard / courtyard with a branch from the T at the Southern end and another long building on the East side.

I hope that makes sense! 

Send me a private message with an EMail address and I will send an image.

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Barry1936

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 December 09 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Izzybella.  About two years ago I researched Rhos farm & cottage for patvp1 (who responded to your request) and sent her details of my find on a personal message, as follows:

"I called at Rhos Cottage which is being farmed by the Cordiner family from Cheshire who bought the premises in the 1880's.   Before then it was the stables for the mines but, with the decline in mining and farming at that time, was available at a give away price!  The Cordiner's told me that Rhos Farm was on the opposite side of the road, now called Rhos Isa but still a farm.  So I called there but all the owners could tell me was that the present building dated back to the 1930's and replaced an earlier building.

I am fairly sure that today's Rhos Isa is your Rhos Farm and this is supported, albeit not proved, by the census reports.  1871 shows "Rhos Farm(cottage)" presumably Rhos Cottage, occupied by a clerk in the lead mine (which fits with the lead mine stables story), and "Rhos(farm house)" presumably Rhos Farm occupied by a farmer.  1881 shows Rhos Farm occupied by your McKay family and Rhos Cottage occupied by a police constable.  1891 shows Rhos Cottage occupied by today's Cordiner family as farmers and Upper Rhos (English for Rhos Isa) occupied by a farmer Parry.  1901 shows Upper Rhos occupied by the same Parry farming family and Rhos Isa which is clearly an error for Rhos Cottage because it is still occupied by the farming Cordiner family. 

It seems probable that Rhos farm became Rhos Isa or Upper Rhos in the 1880's about the same time that the Cordiner family bought Ross Cottage cheaply.  Perhaps both events were linked to the economic decline in the area."

This puts some meat on the bones that Martin Briscoe provided from the OS map.  I have some photos but you are close enough to go and look!  You are so lucky living in the area, it is a 4 hour drive for me.

I see no one has answered you general question of helping a new starter.  If you want some guidance just send me a personal message and I will gladly point you in the right directions

Barry
Hepburn - Clerkenwell, Islington, Limehouse, Grays, Northumberland, Derby, Warwickshire
Cowell - Stanford le Hope, Erith, Orsett, Grays
Powell - Sheppey Kent, New Zealand
Williams - Llanferres, Clwyd, Denbighshire