Author Topic: Albert Shepherd Professional Footballer  (Read 4914 times)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Albert Shepherd Professional Footballer
« on: Sunday 14 October 07 10:43 BST (UK) »
Albert Shepherd was born December 10, 1885 in Bolton Lancashire, and died November 8, 1929 Bolton Lancashire.  He played Centre Forward for Newcastle United between 1908 to 1914. but also had short spells in other clubs

I have found a few online facts about his footballing career online but nothing about his personal life.

I am helping a friend to  research his family tree and he has the name sshepherd from Bolton as one of the main lines and we wanted to try and see if there was a connection.

Does anyone know about this Albert Shepherd or a website that may help.

if we just knew his parents we may get somewhere

an online article stated he became a pub landlord after his football career but it doesn't say where or when

In fact no personal info at all can be found by me about him - I shall of course send for a certificate if we cannot come up with anything but were trying to keep costs down if we could.

Teresa

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Shepherd Professional Footballer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 07 11:12 BST (UK) »
I have seen two different dates for his birth on websites (10 Sep 1885 and 10 Dec 1885), but one of them gave his place of birth as Great Lever, Bolton.

The following family were living in the Great Lever area of Bolton in 1901:

1891  RG12/3119
45 Rishton Lane, Bolton
Thomas Shepherd, 34, cotton spinner, b Egerton
Martha S, 31, wife, b Egerton
Edward S, 13, son, cotton piecer, b Egerton
Herbert S, 10, son, cotton piecer, b Bolton
Albert, 5, son, b Bolton

1901  RG13/3631
21 Luton St, Great Lever, Bolton
(same people)

This doesn't prove anything, of course.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 07 11:17 BST (UK) »
My Football League Players Records ref book has him born Great lever, Bolton, so I think you may have the right family, Richard. It also says that he played for Bolton Wonderers in 1901 and moved to Blackburn Rovers in 1902, so again - he'd be in the area.

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 07 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for those tit bits

I have been doing extra searching on census and found an Albert Shepherd  born about 1885/6 son of Richard and Charlotte - the 1891 census spells the name as Shephard but 1901 has it as Shepherd

living at 17 ash street Great Lever in 1891

1901 they are at 8 Rudolph St  Great Lever

so looks like 2 possibles

thank you for the help

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 07 11:46 BST (UK) »
Teresa
If Albert was well known enough to appear in a book and other various places.Have you considered the fact that there might be an article announcing his death.In the newspaper of the area.An article is different from a death orbit which is in the personnel column ( a couple of lines)and just gives when he died.Anyone well known within the comunity nearly always (in those days) Had an article in the paper.Some very long they gave loads of information  about the deceased. I know i have had 3 ;D You just have to go through the November editions of a weekly newpaper if there was one. I spend so much time  sometime reading the amazing information on some articles on the film.I forget what i was originally looking for ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 October 07 12:07 BST (UK) »
No Celia

I hadn't thought of that  smart idea - I shall investigate that thought as soon as able

Many thanks

teresa

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 October 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
From The Times 11th November 1929.
Albert Shepherd, formerly of Bolton Wanderers and Newcastle United, and an English international centre-forward, died at the Crown and Cushion Hotel, Bolton, of which he was the licensee, on Friday. He joined Bolton Wanderers in 1904, and was transferred to Newcastle United in 1908. He played for England against Scotland in 1906, scored the only goal  of the match against Ireland in 1911 and for the English League against the Scottish League in 1906 when he scored four goals. He was 44, and had been ill for some time.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 October 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
It will be worth contacting the National Football Museum in Preston.  They are extremely likely to hold details of his career possibly including photographs.  They will provide copies and only ask for a small donation.  Those people I know who have contacted them have been delighted with what they receive.  They also welcome you providing any extra details you may have.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 October 07 17:38 BST (UK) »
Bless you both that is so extremely helpful

I will set to with that as soon as poss

Teresa