Author Topic: UPDATED...200 Bodies to be Moved!!!!  (Read 10825 times)

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 200 Bodies to be Moved!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 October 07 21:13 BST (UK) »
It is a terrible thing to do, nothing is sacred anymore, if the almighty council decides it wants a road there and they'll buy your house too as it's in the way who's going to stop them?

Does anyone get the impression from reading it that they saw digging up the cemetary as a way to get hold of the properties with compulsory purchase and as such was the backdoor getting the cp order?

I do like the comment on relocating the bodies to the council offices however, it could work!
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline Lynn H

• RootsChat Member
  • Save our Churches & Graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 07 22:36 BST (UK) »
I live in Blackburn but with the church being torn down i don't know where to look for the records.  Also i will be in hospital for a while so i will be a bit to busy. I sure hope that you find a list of names though because my Wood/Carter/ Blackledge and  Jackson familys all lived in the general area of the church. Please keep me posted as to how things are going and my son can print them off for me.
I sure hope we can get the list. I know i will do my best to help find the familys.

Lynn H.
Lynn has bouncing emails

Family Names. Pendlebury - Hills - Hipwell - Fowler - Wood - Foord.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/parishes

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 October 07 22:54 BST (UK) »

What about Tower Hamlets in London where they are planning to dig up 350,000+!  There's a thread on the ToT board.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 October 07 08:58 BST (UK) »
My house backs on to a small old burial ground.  About 35 years ago some of the bodies were dug up to make room for a road widening.  The bodies were taken to the local, newer, cemetary and the grave stones were placed along the wall of the burial ground.  They are now invisible because they are covered with ivy. 

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Lynn H

• RootsChat Member
  • Save our Churches & Graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 October 07 09:05 BST (UK) »
I'm fuming about this and am not in a position to do anything about it at the moment. I have checked out a few websites and to my horror i find "ERROR" on page. This leaves me to believe that the council are covering every angle to stop interferance. Please help.  ??? 

Lynn H.
Lynn has bouncing emails

Family Names. Pendlebury - Hills - Hipwell - Fowler - Wood - Foord.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/parishes

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 October 07 09:11 BST (UK) »
I fear it has happened many times before & will continue into the future. Where I live a major football field used to be a cemetery. Last time they rebuilt it, many more remains were found (which were reburied elsewhere).

What usually happens in terms of trying to find relatives - The person who originally was the funeral contact, is usually the person on the cemetery lists (I am the contact for my parents graves). When this person dies or moves from the registered address, those in charge of the cemetery, no longer have a contact. I am reasonably sure they do no research to find any relatives (would like to be proven wrong in this).

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 October 07 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm pretty sure that there is legislation regarding the removal from cemeteries. Is it a church owned cemetery or a municipal one? I'm not sure how it works if its church owned but if its municipal then the council will try and contact the owner of the plot. Unfortunately as Trish says people move or die and the councils records become out of date. The council would probably put signs at the cemetery. My understanding is that its not just a matter of being related but of being able to prove that they have ownership of the plot. You would really need to see the legislation.
Andy

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 October 07 09:43 BST (UK) »
Went to a Hull cemetery where my greatgrandparents are buried, no trace of their grave, although I was told where it was, they have taken the white marble surrounds from old graves and used them to edge the paths, to make grass-cutting easier I think. I hope they did try to contact relatives first but it must be a difficult job as Trish pointed out, once people have moved away or died. 

The only trouble is they've turned the stones round so that any inscriptions cannot be read.  Good job I have an old postcard photograph of the grave, which my grandmother kept!

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 October 07 11:28 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this vandalism in Outwell http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/Church&Chapel/Clearance/index.html  and here is what the churchyard looks like now http://www.harrisonmurray.co.uk/property_detail.php?id=012557. In this case the bodies have not been moved, they are just in someone's garden.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk