Author Topic: St John's cemetry  (Read 2418 times)

Offline MGraham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St John's cemetry
« on: Sunday 14 October 07 21:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please take and send me a photo of a grave in St John's cemetery, Jersey. I know Philip George Carpenter and his wife Josephine Carpenter are buried there as I have a photo of the whole cemetery but not a close up of the cross and inscriptions. Thanks in anticipation!
Mel

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St John's cemetry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mel.

Is the photo an actual photo of the grave? 

The reason why I ask is because there are two graveyards at St John's. The church one is 19th century whilst the separate one is more modern. I walked the modern one but couldn't find a grave.

Do you also have an approximate date of death?

Stewart

Offline MGraham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Yes this is the actual grave, but ideally I would like a photo of the inscription and the front of the grave. I believe there is my great grandmother and great grandfather buried here with maybe Phillis Carpenter their daughter. I am not sure of death dates but I think about 1930 for one and after the second world war for the other, perhaps 1950/60ish. The family could have purchased the grave for Phillis who have kindly looked up the death for, maybe 1920ish.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 07 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mel

This is proving a bit of a ....

I've walked the graveyard twice now and not had any success. I contacted the Rector of the Church who looked through his records and he tells me that there are no Carpenter's buried at St. John.

Can I ask what has led you to believe that they are at St John?  There is a St John's Road in St Helier where there is a graveyard which might hold the answer.

I think it may be worthwhile to establish the exact dates and which Parish they died in.

Stewart

Offline MGraham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 07 19:20 BST (UK) »
Stewart

Thank you for all your efforts. I have been given a photo album with old photos of relatives in and some have writing underneath. The one with the grave has 'mum and Dad' grave New St John's cemetery The dad is Philip George Crapenter and mum is Josephine Carpenter.

Thank again
Mel

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 07 19:36 BST (UK) »
Right, that's New St. John's Road, St Helier.

I'll try that one in the next day or two.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 07 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mel

I've found when doing my own family research, you have good days and bad together with ups and downs. I think this may be an up day.

I've found the grave albeit not in the same pristine condition of your photograph. It's located in Westmount Cemetery in the part know locally as the Jewish Cemetery (you don't have to be Jewish to be buried there). It's not the one I thought it was going to be but is on the junction of what is known as Old St Johns Road and Tower Road.

I have taken a number of photographs as there are inscriptions on 3 sides. I have also included one taken from the same view as the original. How times have changed!

The inscriptions are:

Front:
In ever
loving memory

Phyllis Lorraine
beloved daughter of
P G & J Carpenter
who died 28th September 1922
in her 8th year.

Gone but not forgotten.

Left:
and of
Elsie May
daughter of
P & J Carpenter
Died April 19th 1927
Aged 2 years

Right:
Also of
Josephine Hubert
beloved wife of
P Carpenter
who died October 29th 1928
Aged 39 years

There is nothing on the back, and there is no mention of Philip George Carpenter.

The files are too big to attach to this post. Could you send me a personal email with your email address and I will send them on to you.

Stewart