Author Topic: Margaret Richardson 1880 - ? Shrewsbury/Wellington  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Erica McP

• RootsChat Extra
  • A McPoland by name but a Downing by heart!
    • View Profile
Margaret Richardson 1880 - ? Shrewsbury/Wellington
« on: Sunday 14 October 07 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am at a dead end regarding my aternal Grandmother, Dorothy Briscoe (Nee RICHARDSON). (b. 28/04/1908 d. 29/05/1971)
I sent for my Nan's birth certificate as she did not know her parents as she was bought up in Wellington Orphange (then the Workhouse). She was 'adopted' at approx 13 years old with a baby girl named Joan by Emily Blount. (Husband named William) They also lived in Wellington.
Her birth cert shows that her Mother was called Margaret Richardson born in 1880 who was a domestic Housekeeper. At the time of birth she lived in King Street, Wellington where Dorothy was born. (I have since found out that the Workhouse was in Kings street also.)
The Fathers name on the cert is blank.
In the 1901 census Margaret Richardson is listed as a domestic servant at 14 Smithfield Road, Shrewsbury and she was born in Shrewsbury.
THAT is where i am stuck as a search on her name and year of birth only shows 3 Margaret Richardson's and none of them were born in Shrewsbury, so i am at a loss as to know which one is my Great Grandmother to trace the line further.
I know that i will probably never know who Dorothy's Dad was but would like to find out more about the Richardson line and Margaret and what became of her. (I have also tried Shropshire archives but they have no info on any Workhouse 'inmates' only official minutes of meetings etc.)
PLEASE can anyone help me?
Thanks and regards from Erica.
Downing, Mills, Powell (Staffs). Richardson (Shrops), McClory, McPoland (Antrim/Down - NI), Mills (Sydney, Australia), Atkinson (Westmorland), Kelly (Killarney, Ire and Staffs)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Richardson 1880 - ? Shrewsbury/Wellington
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 07 23:36 BST (UK) »
What was the surname of the baby girl Joan?

Could she have been Dorothy's sister??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 07 23:37 BST (UK) »
also..

How are you certain the margaret Richardson b.Shrewsbury is "your" margaret?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Erica McP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know what Joan's surname was but was told that they weren't related. My Nan was taken at the same time to help look after the baby. I got Margaret's birthplace as Shrewsbury as that is what is recorded on my Nans birth cert.
Thanks, regards, Erica
Downing, Mills, Powell (Staffs). Richardson (Shrops), McClory, McPoland (Antrim/Down - NI), Mills (Sydney, Australia), Atkinson (Westmorland), Kelly (Killarney, Ire and Staffs)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 October 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
I'm a little confused, you say that on your Nan's birth certificate it says her mother was born in Shrewsbury, but it doesn't state the mother's p.o.b. on a birth certificate -it only usually gives the address where the child was born. It doesn't usually give the age of the Mother either -it will give the mother's maiden name(but that is not applicable in this case

Sorry to keep questioning , but we need to be sure which margaret we are looking for.

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 07 23:20 BST (UK) »
I may have made a little breakthrough - but remember it's only "possibles"

You seem pretty certain that margaret Richardson b.c.1800 - p.o.b. given as Shrewsbury in 1901-working as a servant in a pub is the correct Margaret.

I noticed her p.o.b. is just dittoed as Shrewsbury (after the head of the household's child.

Maybe she wasn't b. Shrewsbury and either the enumerater was lazy -or didn't know where she was born.
Maybe she just grew up in the area-often the place where they lived previously is given as p.o.b.

In light of that, do you think this could be her in 1891??

West Felton Shropshire

Anson Clowes Head Widower 35 Coachman (Dom)Onecote Staffs
Emily sister U 25 Housekeeper Cheddlestone Stafford
Rose H daughter 7 West Felton Salop
Eveline daughter 5 West Felton Salop
Dorothy daughter 4 West felton Salop
Charles A son 3 West felton Salop
Margaret Richardson Boarder 11 Salford lancaster
RG12 2114 85 9

is it possible Margaret called her daughter after Dorothy Clowes ????

Back sooon with more info

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 00:30 BST (UK) »
Trying to find if there is any link between the Clowes and margaret Richardson -haven't managed it yet- but Anson Clowes was married to mary Ann Gorle -mary Ann died 1889 age 29 -death reg owestry district.
Anson Clowes and mary Ann Gorle were unmarried and both servants at Consall hall Salop -he was a coachman and she was a housemaid-both were born Onecotes Staffs.

i wondered if maybe Margaret Richardson's mother was perhaps in service with them at some time - maybe she died and margaret was reared by the Clowes.

By 1901 Anson had remarried and moved to Denbighshire Wales.

You say your nan was "adopted" at the age of 13 to look after little Joan -  that is the age when girls would go ito service -so she probably went as Domestic,or Nurse Girl .

been trying to find margaret Richardson b. lancs in 1881 -there is one in Liverpool with parents margaret and Charles.
There is also one in Scotland with Grandparents.

Your opinion on this  would be good/

Suz

Offline Erica McP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

WOW! Is your middle name Sherlock by any chance?! I can't believe all the stuff you have found. I feel a gut instinct that my Nan may have been named after little Dorothy where Margaret was a Boarder. I wonder if she was there to look after the kids while he (as a widower) worked? I think you may be onto something. I'm sorry that i can't give you any more info, but my Nan knew nothing of her parents, not even names, and my Mom passed away 5 years ago, so i can't ask to see if she knows anything.
(I would like to find more out about this line because me and my Mom looked so much like my Nan and always wondered!)
Thanks again, regards, Erica.

Offline Erica McP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

P.S - I reckon it will be Margaret in Lancs rather than Scotland due to the geographical distance in those days. I wonder how she came to be in Shropshire though at such a young age?

Erica