Author Topic: Margaret Richardson 1880 - ? Shrewsbury/Wellington  (Read 5949 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Richardson 1880 - ? Shrewsbury/Wellington
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 11:17 BST (UK) »
The Margaret age 1 in Scotland with grandparents was b. Manchester lancs!
I can't get the image of that census -only the list of people on the page, so it is difficult to know who were her grandparents.

People moved around a lot more in those days than we realise .

The Clowes were both from Staffs working in Shropshire and then moved to Wales.

If margaret's mother had died that could be the reason she ended up in the workhouse. Or she could have been in service and boarded Margaret out to the Clowes when they married - while she worked to pay for margaret's keep.

Also margaret was a very common name in lancashire - also ther were a lot of Scottish and Irish in Lancs at that time -that's why I thought the Scottish grandparents were a possibility.

I'll chase up the Liverpool margaret to see if she is on later census with her parents

Hope you can follow this -I'm thinking aloud!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 11:56 BST (UK) »
I've followed the lancs margarets through to 1891 and they are with their parents -one of them is with grandparents -so the Scotland one seems worth chasing.

A fellow RootsChatter has just PM'd me and is possibly able to look at the image of the Scottish (Caithness) one.

One of the names as a possible grandparent is Margaret Manson -there is an elderly margaret manson b Caithness working as a servant in Sussex in 1891 -so they did travel.

I have checked birth reg Salford district 1879-1889 and there is only 1 reg margaret Gertrude Richardson Dec qtr 1880 - but it looks like she died same qtr and year.

Salford reg district covers part of Greater manchester -and the Scotland Margaret gives p.o.b. as Manchester lancs -so ????????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz and Erica

This is the full listing of the Thurso entry:

1881 High Street, Thurso Ref - 41 ED 2 page 5

William Sutherland, hd, 64, formerly Mason, b. Brora, Sutherland
Isabella, wife, 58, b. Tongue, Sutherland
Johan, daughter, unmarried, 30, Dressmaker, b. Tongue
William, B. C. grandson, 4, b. Manchester, Lancs
Margaret Richardson, granddaughter, 1, b. Manchester
Barbara Stewart, sister in law, unm, 74, Formerly Cook, b. Glasgow

Hope it helps. Have you checked on the 1891 to see if she's still in the North - otherwise, I'll check  :)

Regards

Gadget - a fellow Rootschater  ;D ;D ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 12:07 BST (UK) »
There is a possible for this Margaret (as Margaret R )in Colinton, Midlothian in 1891 - 677 Ed 3 page 1

Correct age and born 'England',   a visitor and niece with a family called Brownlee.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 12:26 BST (UK) »
looks like we can rule Scotland out!

Any other ideas, gadget???

I'm going to lie down in a darkened room!

Suz

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 13:19 BST (UK) »
No ideas at the moment, Suz. She's not in Wales, just checked.  I'll have a think about it. Are we sure that we have the right Margaret in 1901?

Gadget

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 13:38 BST (UK) »
Erica seems pretty certain -but states that she gave Shrewsbury as p.o.b. on daughter's birth cert -I have queried this.

Suz

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 14:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, I saw that. As you said, birth certs don't have a mother's place of birth on them  :-\

I'm wondering about the Wellington workhouse. The area that it covered would cover that Poor Law Union. Could the address (Wellington on the birth cert) refer to the workhouse address?

My grandfather was born in Oswestry workhouse, although his mother had lived in a village in Wales 6 miles distant from Oswestry. It was just that it was in the Oswestry PL Union. Shropshire Archives were very helpful to me but the records pre-1913 had been lost/destroyed.

Are there any other Margaret Richardsons in the broad Wellington area on the 1901?

Gadget

Added - also was she definitely single rather than widowed, say?

Offline Erica McP

• RootsChat Extra
  • A McPoland by name but a Downing by heart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi to you both!

Have just checked birth cert again and the place of birth is in the same road as the WorkHouse so i am guessing it was actually there, as my Nan lived there until she was 13.
Also you are correct! Margaret's place of birth is NOT shown on cert, just her address where Dorothy was born. (But no street number, so i am pretty sure it was the Workhouse).
I got Shrewsbury as being her place of birth from the 1901 census, like Suz found earlier. There are no other Margaret Richardsons in that area. Also Shrops Archives have no inmate records at all i have checked it out.

A BIG BIG thankyou for all your time and effort with this quest! I am quite new to all this family tree stuff so you have more expertise than me! It is very much appreciated.

Kind regards, Erica.
Downing, Mills, Powell (Staffs). Richardson (Shrops), McClory, McPoland (Antrim/Down - NI), Mills (Sydney, Australia), Atkinson (Westmorland), Kelly (Killarney, Ire and Staffs)