Author Topic: Rayner family in 1901  (Read 1187 times)

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rayner family in 1901
« on: Monday 15 October 07 04:15 BST (UK) »
I cannot find my Rayner family in the 1901 Census. Can anyone help?

They were in Warrington in 1891. Circa 1918 they may have lived in Blackburn.

From prior Censuses:
In 1881 William “Raynor” the tailor from Great Budworth is married to “Elisa” with his 2-week old daughter Amy. He gave his age as 27, while Eliza was 28. (Other records suggest he was only 23). They lived at #25 Lloyd Street, Warrington. Perhaps he wanted to appear older because Eliza was 6 years older than he was?

In the 1891 Census, William Rayner lived at 10 Catherine Street, Warrington with his 2nd wife wife Hannah, 3 children and brother. Eliza died in 1887, and Bill re-married Hannah perhaps 4 years later?Bill had an older sister called Amy. There was 7 years between the birth of Bill and his 1/2 brother Bertie in 1891.

Cannot find William and Hannah RAYNER (RAYNOR, RAINER?) in 1901...
Scotland; Dumfries (Beattie), Ayrshire (Anderson) Galashiels (Aitken/Mack) Berwick (John Ford, William Ford)<br />Manchester (Walter Lake 1865-1903, Green) Great Budworth (William Smith, formerly Rayner) <br />Worcs. (Stourbridge- Samuel Hill) (Dudley- Anderson)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rayner family in 1901
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 07 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hi simonwpb

In 1891, Bertie was named as his son aged 2  months.
His other children in that Census were: Amy age 9, William age 7 - all b Warrington.
His brother was named as John age 28 (to William's 33)
His wife Hannah was 30 (?) born Wednesbury Staffs.

Do you have any idea what Hannah's maiden name was (or any prior married name) was?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 07 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Ambly... thanks for the assist,

My GGP's were William Rayner and Eliza Grant (who died in childbirth in 1887). My GF was William born 1884.

Sorry I do not have Hannah's maiden name. I could not find a marriage record for William and Hannah in the BD either.

I have searched for Bertie (Albert?) and Amy as well. Could the 1901 census have missed them?

Scotland; Dumfries (Beattie), Ayrshire (Anderson) Galashiels (Aitken/Mack) Berwick (John Ford, William Ford)<br />Manchester (Walter Lake 1865-1903, Green) Great Budworth (William Smith, formerly Rayner) <br />Worcs. (Stourbridge- Samuel Hill) (Dudley- Anderson)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 October 07 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Still pondering the Census question - however I might be able to solve the marriage one!

Eliza died Jun Qtr 1887 age 35.

In the Qtr following  of the same year, is a marriage:
Sep Qtr 1887 Warrington . Vol 8c, page 198
There are only following 3 people showing on FreeBMD - one of the brides is missing.....

BAILEY Sarah Jane
BANCROFT  Walter
RAYNER  William

The 1891 Census shows married couple Walter and Sarah J BANCROFT  living in Warrington, eldest child age 3.

So this leaves William RAYNER.
FREEBMD also has the following  solitary entry for a marriage Sep Qtr 1887 Warrington:

PASS  Hannah     Vol 8c,   page: 1[39]8   
This infers the transcriber was unable to clearly identify the page number.

On viewing the image, I believe ithe page is clearly 198 - ie: the woman William RAYNER married. But becasue their page numbers are different in the FreeBMD transcriptions, they do not show up in the same page of results.

So -- he married Hannah PASS shortly after his wife died?  Such a 'hasty' remarriage was not uncommon, especially if a man had been left with very young, or many children to support!

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 October 07 12:38 BST (UK) »
I realise it was Eliza who was your line - but this looks like Hannah in 1881, which further suggests the above is probably correct:

1881: Warrington, Lancashire
Ref: RG11 /  Piece 3794 /  Folio: 97 /  Pg  45
Address: 5(?) Liverpool Road
Servant: Hannah PASS 19, unm, b Wednesbury, Staffordshire
In Employ of William D JEANS & family, age 46, Solicitor

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks AMBLY,

Your detective work has at least discovered Hannah's maiden name!

Elizabeth Ann Grant before she married was also a domestic servant previously in the employ of a wealthy landowner.

My theory was that William Rayner the tailor perhaps met his spouse(s) through his clients?

Strange how none of the family shows in 1901 though. (You won't find William the son because he had enlisted)

Offline Borneodann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 September 23 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Simonwpb, we think we can help with this one.  My husband's great-grandfather, William Smith, lived in Blackburn, but a family ''mystery'' surrounded him.  It was rumoured that he was aka Rayner and was possibly born in Comberbach.  His wife was Helen Bishop (nee Collow), born in Tamworth in 1864. Their daughter Nellie May (my husband's grandmother) was a tailor!  We'll do some research on the 1901 and 1911 censuses and come back to you!  The plot thickens!! 

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 September 23 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Yes definitely a match. Since I posted this my research went as far as Nellie May marrying John Fitton, and a daughter Marjorie, although it has been awhile. I never did solve the mystery of why Rayner was changed to Smith but the imagination comes up with some speculation! My great-grandfather was married 3 times, his first two wives died at a young age.

Simon

Offline Borneodann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 September 23 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,

So it looks like William was your and my husband John's great-grandfather!  Which of William's children are you descended from?

We found the family on the 1901 and 1911 censuses under the name of Smith.  In 1901, Amy and William were with them but not in the 1911 census.  With wife Helen, he had Nellie, Walter, Lilian, Ethel and Maggie.  Nellie married Jack Fitton, as you point out, and they had Marjorie and John (aka Jack), who are John's mum and uncle respectively, both long departed. 

We didn't know that Hannah had also died young.  What happened to Bertie? 

We wondered if William and Helen were actually married or were they ''on the run'' from something?    It seems strange that they moved around so much and also changed their name to the most common name in the country (to avoid detection).  Also, on each census, their places of birth seem to change.  An added mystery is that Margaret, the youngest daughter, lived at home and had 2 sons.  No one knew who their father was.  If only we could turn back the clock and investigate issues like we can today!

Please keep us updated with any new finds!

Ann and John