Author Topic: thomas robson born abt 1862  (Read 1525 times)

Offline stuart robson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
thomas robson born abt 1862
« on: Monday 15 October 07 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone can help me with a brick wall i've reached.

My Great grandfather George Robson was born to Thomas Robson and Hannah Oliver in 1902

In the 1901 census RG13/4831/40/14/14 they are listed at Thornton Moor, his occupation is  listed as Shepherd.
in the 1891 census (RG12/4252/p.21) they are listed at 5 The Square Bellingham.

In 1901 his occupation was given as Shepherd and in 1891 as furnace man plate.

in 1901 his birth place is given as Elsdon Northumberland
In 1891 his birth place is given as Highfield Dodd

According to IGI FHL Film 1342234     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 5111    Folio 99    Page 5  he may have been an 18 year old shepherd in the house of Robert Murray at Troughend.

IN 1871 i think he appears in the family of a widowed John Robson at Spithopehead {R10/5158/p.28} aged 8 with a place of birth of Thoringburn

I haven;t been able to find his death reference yet, but wondered if anyone would have any local knoweldge that could link Elsdon, Highfield Dodd and Thoringburn? Also seems strange an 18 year old shepherd would become a furnaceman and then revert to shepherding. I know when my great grandfather was married in 1925 Thomas was a caretaker at Dunsdale wherever that was.
Robson, Douglas, Redpath, Sandilands, Keppie

Offline mim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: thomas robson born abt 1862
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 07 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On 1891 census, Thomas's occupation is actually a 'Surfaceman Plate'. Think this may be something to do with railways.

mim
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I can only tell you that Spithope Head is a farm at Rochester which is near Elson/Bellingham/Otterburn and there are also farms at Thorneyburn and Highfield House and Troughend (which is  just off the A68) - these are what the farms are called now but they may have been known by slightly different names at the turn of the 19th century. Google Spithope Head and you will see a list of Northumberland farms. The area is known for sheep farming - it is open moorland. Bellingham is the largest settlement and it had a railway line nearby that stopped at Redesdale Junction - I remember going into the old engine shed at Redesdale in the 1960's and seeing two old steam engines - unfortunately the railway does not exist any more.  If you go to http://www.bellingham-heritage.org.uk/railway.html you'll find out about the railway at Bellingham. I imagine your ancestor was of farming stock who was probably lured onto the railways because the pay was better, but he may have been happier on the moors than shovelling coal in to the boiler on a steam train and left to become a shepherd. If you google some maps of Northumberland I'm sure you'll be able to find the farms. I'm also sure you know that as a Robson from that area you are likely to descended  from the border Reiver Robsons. By the way, Dunsdale could be another farm, further north and nearer Cheviot - if you go to http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:USd0cFJbudMJ:www.saleandpartners.co.uk/detail.php%3FID%3D15+Dunsdale&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&client=safari you'll find it is now a holiday let that doesn't even have any T.V reception!

hope this helps

Tessy

Offline Tessy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 22:35 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - Surfaceman plate may relate tot he railways or perhaps the mines as there were some mines in the area which suplied the local ironworks. I don't think i made it clear in my last message that there was a railway station at Bellingham as well as Redesmouth. If you go to

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/005984FS.htm you can look at maps/photos etc for  Bellingham area

Tessy