Author Topic: Ballinstona North and South  (Read 7494 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Ballinstona North and South
« on: Tuesday 16 October 07 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

is there anywhere; library or books that will tell me of the history of Balinstona (parish of Bruff - old parish of Uregare, Barony Coshma).   I think it was a large estate at one point , though not adjoining.

Going for a new slant on the family  ;D

jc
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinstona North and South
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 21:50 BST (UK) »
 Hi well as I am sure you know the best books are kept in the N.LI.
   Parish Bruff. is a small town in east Limerick in the mid-west of Ireland.Located on the old road Limerick Cork Rd. The town lies on the Morning Star River with,unusually two bridges in the town itself.
       Bruff is part of the Maigue and District Cluster which comprises of Parishs of Bruff/Grange/Meanus/Croom/Banogue/Mainister/Dromin/and Athlacca.

Ballinstona N/S The Barony is Smallcounty Parish Uregare.But don't look under Ballinstona look under Killmallock.
                           Lep. :)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Leprechaun,

Thank you for your reply regarding the geography around Bruff and Parishes. I have familiarised myself quite well with all the neighbouring villages and parishes. Seems I have family dotted around each of them  :D

It does look like I shall have to visit the NLI, to find a little more about the history of the region.

at the turn of the 19c I have 2 brothers
William Creed esq living at Ballygrennan Castle
Charles Creed esq living at  Ballynanty House, Ballynanty
and Charles Creed (jnr) living at Ballinstona (listed as North in some of of the literature I have found)
As the extent of the lands they possessed between them was quite large, I was wondering if Ballinstona was an estate as such or an just an area?
I have located both North and South Ballinstona and the other areas mentioned on a map to see how they relate to each other.

thank you again

jc
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 21:17 BST (UK) »
 Hello J.C. There is a Local Journal  Kept in the N.L.I.
 Called  The Dawn [Journal of the Bruff Historical Society. If you are going in the future.
  To the N.L.I.  This is what you will want. Ir. 94144 d
 I will see if I can come up with anything for you. Cannot say when,but I will not forget.
       ;)  Lep

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 07 13:41 BST (UK) »
 Hello J.C. Your castle's have me interested. I did find this.
Limerick is reported to have the hightest density of Castles in Ireland. In the Bruff area only Ballygrennan Castle is standing.

Ballygrennan Castle dates from the 13th century,as a stronghold of the De Lacy family.It was extended over a period of 400 Years.

Bruff Castle was visible until early 20th century but nothing remains of this.
                                                   Lep :)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 07 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lep,

Yes I can find plenty of references to the De Lacys and even  beautiful pictures of the castle http://bruffhistory.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html

I'm trying to find out why my OHs rellies were there from at least (possibly earlier!) c1702  when Frances Creed Ballygrennan  married Elizabeth Blakeney (sister of lt gen william Blakeney 1st & last baron of Mount Blakeney castle). 
Roll time forward ....   there is a Frances Creed died 1794 Ballygrennan Castle (Births, Marriages, & Deaths ANTHOLOGIA HIBERNICA 1793-1794 )
and further forward is a William Creed of Ballygrennan Castle died 1816 (death notice in the Limerick Freemans Journal and the Limerick General Advertiser) he is noted brother of Charles Creed of Ballynanty. (my husbands GGG grandfather)
Charles and another brother James both married daughters of John Norris and Ann Maunsell at St Marys Cathedral Dublin. James's daughters married into the Meredyth family and I have lots on the Creed Meredyths.
I don't know who William married apart that her first name was Catherine. Another Brother Edward was a merchant in Cork - and I haven't even started on him yet

I was hoping by finding something on the history of the Castle, it might give me a clue where to look for my Creeds prior to this.  The bookshop didn't have anything on the castle and have referred me back to NLI again.

ps... my side of the family are nearly all ag labs and shoemakers so which do not sound quite so exciting as my husbands tree!

thank you for your interest, it is much appreciated

Jenny

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 07 16:43 BST (UK) »
 Hello Jenny, I do find this interesting. I understand what you want to find.Ie Creed.
     But going back in time. to the the Blakeney's I have heard of Lieutenant William Blakeney of Castle Blakeney, Mount Blakeney Co,Limerick He was the first and last baron . he was Born in 1672.
                                        Lep

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 October 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Lep,

Yes there are some great connections there! Just need to find the proof-  though Ballygrennan seems to hold all the keys! 
Baron Blakeney was buried in Westminster Abbey and interestingly enough his coat of arms is the reverse of the Creed coat of arms you see as my Avitar
Black background with Ermine cheveron and the 3 leopards head on the background.

The Creed coat of arms belonged to Sir James Creed who lived in Greenwich (birth place unknown to me) and owned the London Lead company later becoming one of the directors of the East India Company! The interesting thing is I can't find a link to the Creeds from Limerick! Both Baron Blakeney and Sir James Creed  lived in the same era.
As Sir James only had daughters his title and coat of arms died with him as did Baron Blakeneys who remained unmarried.

Fascinating family..
Jenny

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 October 07 18:29 BST (UK) »
 Yes Jenny William is buried in Westminster Abbey. And you are right he never married. and on his death his peerage became extinct.
           He was a British Soldier.He has an extensive biographical entry in the Dictionary of National Biography.
         But he is in the Irish Peerage. He also held office of a member of Parliament [M.P.] for Killmarnock between 1725-1757. He was created first Baron on 18th Dec: 1756.  And he also had a brother Robert.
   The surname Creed is English.[ I am not saying there were no Creed's in Ireland]
 As William also held office of Lieu: Gov: of Plymouth 1746-1748.
      If you could ever make a trip to the N.L. I.  you would find out so much more. One can always find out so much more if their family are noted.
                                            Lep.