Author Topic: suspicious deaths  (Read 737 times)

Offline pottypolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
suspicious deaths
« on: Tuesday 16 October 07 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm hoping someone can throw some light on something Ive just found out about my gt gt aunt - Ive just received her death cert she died 14 July 1903 the cert states that and I quote "dead body found 10th July1903 in canal in parish of Longsdon (Staffs)  what Id like to know does anyone know where I can get the inquest report from ? The local paper although started in the 1800s has some of issues missing and only has from 1912 any help would be great as I'm intrigued to find out weather it was an accident or foul play !! Her name was Frances Jane Kidd (nee Moss)
many thanks   ;)
Meade (Lichfield, Staffordshire)                  Brassington (Cheddleton,Leek Lichfield)               Richardson(West Brom)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: suspicious deaths
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 13:36 BST (UK) »
Coroners records are usually destroyed after 15 years.
A schedule of destruction is laid down by a Home Office Circular 250/1967. While Coroners Records are within the definition of public records, for whose preservation the Lord Chancellor is responsible, and should be open to the public after 75 years, many will not survive. There are exceptions to the 15 year destruction, and apparently it is not compulsory so some coroners choose not to destroy them.

According to "Coroners' Records in England and Wales" Staffordshire adhere to the national destruction schedules.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk