Author Topic: wallace family 1770  (Read 8288 times)

Offline Longarm48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: wallace family 1770
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 June 12 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hello...

My name is John Bushelle and I am the descendant of many of the same name, including the JB married to Eliza Vincent Wallace who you have mentioned. I have uncovered quite a bit of the family history and would be keen to talk to anyone interested. I realise it's quite a while since your post, but if you get this, let me know...

Offline amberwitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 June 12 17:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for getting in touch. My address is (*). Would we most interested to hear from you. You will be interested to hear that a festival celebrating the Wallace family is to be held in Eliza's birthplace, Ballina, Co. Mayo, this September (details below). Would be great if your family could be represented (I've been in touch with W.V. Wallace's American great grandchildren) and any members of your family will be warmly "welcomed home".

Long lost links with north Mayo musical family restored
MAYO ADVERTISER, MAY 25, 2012.
A discovery of great historical significance to the Ballina region has been unearthed following intensive world-wide research which has revealed the extraordinary musical talents of the Wallace family, who went on to entertain people throughout the world in the mid 19th century.

To honour the family, the Ballina Wallace Bicentenary Committee has been formed to mark the birth 200 years ago of William Vincent Wallace, one of Ireland’s greatest composers and to firmly establish his family’s roots and links in the Ballina/Killala area, in addition to his sister Eliza who became one of the great divas in Australia.

The Wallace Bicentenary Committee in Ballina has arranged a number of events to celebrate this talented musical family. A talk, given by two of the world’s leading authorities on the family (Dr David Grant and Peter Jaggard), and an exhibition running for 10 days in the local library, will lead to a concert in St Muredach’s Cathedral on Sunday night, September 16, featuring the town choirs, the Lawlor School of Song, soloists Alan McGinty and Debbie Duffy, the Sheeran family, and other local talent. A commemorative souvenir programme will be produced to mark the occasion, and other events are also being planned.

Surviving Wallace family members in the US have been traced and have been invited to Ballina for the occasion.

Members of the Ballina Wallace Bicentenary Committee are Terry Reilly, Liam MacHale, Pat Diamond, Margaret Harrison, Michael Hogan and Barry McLoughlin.

(*) Moderator Note: email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline Longarm48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 June 12 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying tp my post (very speedy, as the last post you made was 2010 I think). We live in Byron Bay, Australia, having moved here from Sydney in 1992 - a very nice piece of the country, with Cape Byron lighthouse at the most easterly point of the continent.

Eliza married a John Butler Bushelle, a singer, and with Eliza on the piano they gave many concerts in Sydney. For some reason he fell on hard times and as one way to generate funds, they embarked on a tour of Tasmania, where he died in 1843 at the age of 33. I actually found this out when I spent 3 months playing music in Tasmania myself in 1982 and did some research in the local papers, finding quite a few reviews of their concerts. After he died, apparently she did some concerts with WV Wallace, I think in England and believe he was in Australia at some stage. John B and Eliza had 3 sons, another John Butler, Thomas and William. The 2nd John Butler married Henrietta Mary Head and their son, John Edward Wallace, my grandfather, was killed in France in 1917 and awarded the Military Cross (small compensation). They had one son, my father John Arthur who was a very successful actor on the radio in Australia and who then travelled to England in 1948, after I was born, to make his mark. My mother Sheila and I followed him over after about a year and he did very well acting in various stage plays, radio series and a few films, then went on to join the Royal Shakespearean Company in 1953, where I can remember seeing him in the Merchant of Venice as a small boy (me not him...). We then returned to Australia and Dad gave up acting and took up film production, setting up a very successful John Bushelle Productions. Dad died in 2001 and my mother in 2009.

When I left school I pursued 2 careers - whilst at the University of Sydney studying for a Science degree in Pure Mathematics, I also joined a band, which started me on a very long career as a guitarist and singer, so half my life has been spent playing music and the other more dependable source of income, a high school Mathematics teacher. My wife and I have 5 children - *, ranging from 39 years down to 15, with currently 4 grandchildren. My brother *, who was born in England in *, has 2 girls and a boy and lives in Mona Vale in Sydney, running his own Graphic Arts business, *.

Anyway that's part of the story. I didn't get your email address as the RootsChat moderator has deleted it, but mine is *. I'd be very interested to hear anything about the family and thank you for the invitation to Ballina - it would be very great thing to be able to attend...

regards

John

* see next reply

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 June 12 19:57 BST (UK) »
Rootschat policy does not allow posting of personal details or details of living people. Therefore I have removed quite a few details from your latest post. This is explained under Posting Guidelines in Help pages (Help button at top of page). When you, and the person you wish to contact, have at least 3 posts you can use PM (Personal Message) system to exchange such details. Best wishes, aghadowey (Moderator)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!