Author Topic: old photos - what do you do?  (Read 6746 times)

Offline ludovica

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogist
    • View Profile
Re: old photos - what do you do?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 October 07 19:54 BST (UK) »
I made the mistake of scanning all my pictures at a resolution suitable for web pages. After becoming familiar with Rootschat I now realise I need to do them all over again (except I dont have a scanner anymore) :(

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 October 07 00:00 BST (UK) »
Christmas is coming !    ;D
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 October 07 00:06 BST (UK) »
Sara,

If you are going to scan them, then scan at the highest resolution you can and then save them as .tiff file. Tiff files are large and take up a lot of space but there is no degradation. Jpegs take up a lot less space but they are compressed and lose detail. Everytime you open a jpeg and then save it again it loses even more detail until you only have square blocks of pixels.

Keep your original Tiff files in a separate folder and back them up to separate CDs or DVDs and keep them in different locations. Save your restorations as jpegs but you always have your original tiffs to fall back on if you go too far.

Rog

Offline ludovica

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 October 07 00:17 BST (UK) »
Sara,

If you are going to scan them, then scan at the highest resolution you can and then save them as .tiff file. Tiff files are large and take up a lot of space but there is no degradation. Jpegs take up a lot less space but they are compressed and lose detail. Everytime you open a jpeg and then save it again it loses even more detail until you only have square blocks of pixels.

Keep your original Tiff files in a separate folder and back them up to separate CDs or DVDs and keep them in different locations. Save your restorations as jpegs but you always have your original tiffs to fall back on if you go too far.

Rog
Wow.. useful piece of advice. I didn't know that

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 October 07 01:16 BST (UK) »
I'll try this and see if it works.

The first image is a scaled down version of the original which was scanned at 1200dpi (don't worry it would never fit in the 500kb limit we have on this board.

The second image is a selection of my aunt (middle on the front row). On the left as in the original 1200 tiff file, on the right still at 1200 as saved as a jpg. I hope you will be able to see the degregation.

Rog

It worked

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 October 07 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Rog!

What a fantastic tip! I never knew anything about that! Looks like I am going to be very busy over the weekend re-scanning all my photos.

Thanks!  ;) ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"