Author Topic: Fiinished a Christmas Present  (Read 996 times)

Offline robraw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Fiinished a Christmas Present
« on: Friday 24 December 04 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Finally I have done it.
My quest to trace the family tree started in 1977, when I on trip to England I tried unsuccessfully to locate my paternal Grandmother.  I looked at the Inverness birth and marriage records with no luck.  Remembering the family story that she was not a doctor’s daughter from Inverness but a pub keeper’s daughter from Battle in Sussex, I made my way to Battle.  Family names were found in the cemetery there but nothing concrete to say I had found her or her family.  The reality was I didn’t know enough to gain any benefit from a search of the Battle cemetery. 
Back in Australia I decided to start at the beginning with her marriage certificate.  It confirmed the story that she was born in Inverness. (This has later been proven to be false)  Disheartened I then started to look for my Grandfathers family tree.  This quest has taken 25 years and may branches remain empty.  Grandfather was not an only child as previously thought but had several brothers and sisters, with his father marrying twice.
My mother has assisted greatly by looking at many microfiche to locate immigration records, publican licences and more importantly managed to get my father to visit the Rylstone cemetery where she wrote down information on all the headstones with the name Walton.  None of them could be connected at that stage of the research, but a few years later those headstone transcripts miraculously provided the stepping-stone to the next generation.  Several trips have been made to check the headstones and those of the extended family.  A few years ago I arranged for the Headstone of John Walton (our first settler) to be repaired as it was close to collapsing.
Mum and I spent a couple of sessions with a lovely gentleman, who ran the Rylstone Historical Society.  Inexperience costs us lots of information as he would wander from topic to topic and a long time later tie it all in, by then we had both forgotten some of the important details suspecting that the gentleman was “mentally wandering” and not paying enough attention.  A tape recorder on the last visit solved a lot of that problem.
I have over the past few years used the Internet to locate information.  Every year more information is made available.  I have joined several genealogy chat rooms and thanks to those chat rooms have been able to locate information on the English and Australian family.
Returning to the question of who my Grandmother was, well 25 years down the track I am not that much wiser.  I do know that she wasn’t born in Inverness in 1887 but Sussex in 1889.  I have managed to “find” her family but she remains a mystery whom future generations may be able to solve.
But Christmas day my present to various members of the family is a bound 300 page story of my family.
Merry Christmas to everyone
Robyn
 8)
Walton (Huntingdonshire and NSW OZ)
Wilson (Sussex)
Hicks (Kent, Sussex, Surrey)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fiinished a Christmas Present
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 04 15:10 GMT (UK) »
What a wonderful Christmas present Robyn!   They say there is nothing you can give that is more precious than your time and I am sure the recipients of your family story will appreciate all the many hours of hard work, frustration and pleasure you have given them.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 December 04 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Well done!

Something I'm sure we all say that we are going to do but never get around to it.

I, too, started in 1977 and living on the doorstep I have found it easy to find lots of interesting snippets about my families.

So, WELL DONE and have a very happy Christmas.

Teddybear. :)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline PeterSzewc

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • GGrandfather James Noon Marson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 December 04 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations robraw, that is a wonderful present to your family and to the spirits of the ones you are keeping alive.

Peter.
MARSON - Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Ontario
NOON - Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire
SMITH - Essex, Yorkshire, Ontario, British Columbia
BLANKS - Essex, Middlesex, Surrey, Kent
JOHNSON - Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Ontario
SIMPKIN - Cambridgeshire, Norfolk
CLARK - Cambridgeshire
ARBER - Cambridgeshire
ELSDEN - Cambridgeshire