Author Topic: Finding a Missing Person  (Read 3099 times)

Offline kiya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Finding a Missing Person
« on: Friday 24 December 04 13:44 GMT (UK) »
For about a year now I've been trying to find out where my great x3 grandfather, Thomas HOLLAND came from and who his parents were.

I know that he was married in St. Clements to Maria CLARKE in 1826 and at that time he was residing in the parish of Kea.

He appears on the 1841 census and it is recorded that he was born "outside census county" (I am learning to loathe those words!!!).

He died of pneumonia in 1846.  His age on the death certificate is recorded as being 46.  Given that ages can vary somewhat, he was probably born between 1795 and 1805 (and obviously most likely around 1800).

I haven't a clue where to look next.  I have the entry of marriage in the parish register which tells me he lived in Kea.  I have his death certificate.  I also have his wife's death certificate.

I just don't know where to look next.  Any help would be great!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!  ;)
Cornwall - Cook, Cowl(e), La(u)nce, Arthur, Honey, Stephens, Welch, Handcock, Holland.  Devon - Frost, Spray, Kellaway, Hamley.  Wales (Carmarthenshire) - Evans. Hertfordshire/Essex - Cakebread. Surrey/Sheffield - Grayson.

Offline tab

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a Missing Person
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 December 04 18:20 GMT (UK) »
the closest Thomas Holland to Cornwall seems to be Thomas chr 1802 Stoke Demmrel Devon might be worth see if this is the one by checking 1841 census Devon is parents William & Elizabeth
Brewer/ all Cornwall Warren/Trathen/Stratten/Dymond/Harvey/Fry/Murley/Rowe/Eddy/Nicholas/Casley Penwith Cornwall
Gurling/London+all my other London lines
Bouvier/London/France

Offline kiya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 January 05 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info, tab - sorry for not responding sooner, I've been unwell for ages and hadn't checked this site for updates.

kiya
Cornwall - Cook, Cowl(e), La(u)nce, Arthur, Honey, Stephens, Welch, Handcock, Holland.  Devon - Frost, Spray, Kellaway, Hamley.  Wales (Carmarthenshire) - Evans. Hertfordshire/Essex - Cakebread. Surrey/Sheffield - Grayson.

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Kiya

Have you seen the entry for the 1841 census on Family History Online for Thomas Holland living in Truro St Marys? This information on FH Online was entered by the Cornish Family History Society, although it seems they may have missed off one of the children and Maria's possible spinster sister who could have been living with them according to the other internet record.

You need to see the exact census record to satisfy yourself that the term 'not in county' simply meant that he was away at the time of the census.

I suggest that you ask the Online Parish Clerk service (mentioned on the Cornish pages elsewhere on this website) to copy the relevant census page for you, unless you can get to Cornwall easily to visit the CFHS library.

Also, a will can sometimes contain useful information about Parish of birth, and as he died young may have bequested money or possessions to siblings or even his mother and father.

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Chris Penrose

Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell