Author Topic: King Albert's Book  (Read 3167 times)

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
King Albert's Book
« on: Thursday 18 October 07 21:00 BST (UK) »
I have in my possession a very good copy of the above.  This book was published by the Daily Telegraph in conjunction with the Daily Sketch and the Glasgow Herald, in 1915.   The book was sold for the benefit of the Daily Telegraph Belgian Fund.  The book is nominally a tribute to the Belgian people and King from representative men and women throughout the world.
Any interest out there?

Offline pat_john

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: King Albert's Book
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 08 06:32 BST (UK) »
 :)  Hi could you please add a little more infromation about the contents of the book.  Thanks Pat
FERGUSON (CANADA)   Ontario
 Moyse         "          "   & England
RHODES (LEEDS, YORKSHIRE ENGLAND)
CAIN (LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND)

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: King Albert's Book
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 08 18:12 BST (UK) »
The book is "dedicated" to Violet,  with love from Marjorie,  June 7th. 1919.
The book itself is,  I suppose what we would call A4 size and has some 188 pages of written articles and music, interspersed with prints of paintings,  relevant to the "content" of the book.   The contributors are multi national and where an article is in a foreign language,  then a translation follows.   The contributors range from the then Aga Khan,  Herbert Asquith (Prime Minister),  Baden Powell,  Sarah Bernhardt,  W. Bramwell Booth,  Archbishop of Canterbury,  Andrew Carnegie,  G.K.Chesterton,  Winston Churchill,  Claude Debussey,  Edward Elgar,  Rider Haggard,  Thomas Hardy,  Admiral Jellicoe,  Rudyard Kipling,  Kitchener of Khartoum,  David Lloyd George.  These give you only a flavour of the kind of "celebs" that took part in this enterprise.   For it's age the book is in very good condition.   Bill