Author Topic: Christopher Myers  (Read 9120 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Myers
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 15 November 07 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,

Does Christopher's death certificate have any information at all about:
(a) his marriage(s)
(b) his parents?

If not, one can only say what a shame that his son-in-law (rather than a closer family member) was the informant  :(

I think you have the OPR entries for the marriages - one to Marion LACHLAN in Glasgow in 1802, and one to Margaret LAW in Edinburgh in 1820?  Do they give any further clues at all (I think you said that both showed Christopher as a weaver)?

Do you have the death cert (1898, age 73) for Margaret (MYERS) RHIND?  At least this should confirm her mother's maiden surname.

JAP

Offline MalGordon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Malcolm Myers 1945
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 16 November 07 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Sadly the death entry I have downloaded from the register does not have any information about his parents. It says they were unknown to the informant who was John Rhind the husband of Margaret.

The marriage to Marion Lachlan I am not sure about. It is something that I found whilst searching and may not be relevant at all. I am still trying to find some definite thread for that one. This and the marriage to Margaret were about the only entries I could find for  Christopher Myers.

I have a copy of the wedding register for the other marriage to Margaret Low in 1820, but now finding the death entry for Margaret and he second name being Low (not Law) and it also shows the mother's maiden name as Low.  Originally when I started this search I was looking for Low. However the documents that I found suggested Law as the name. I was never 100% certain of this name but went on the assumption that it was Law. Now I am not certain.

It seems we get to a certain point and then the road forks again and another avenue opens up. However I will keep going and hopefully the local LDS  will get the films I have ordered and maybe clear up a few things.

I have also found a death register entry for William Myers Rhynd for 1862. So it would appear that there were two sons with the same name.

Thanks for your help.
Myers - St. Cuthberts Edinburgh/Geelong Australia
Greaves Sussex/Durham
McGregor Hewith/Hebburn/Lossiemouth
Dobson Hewith/South Shields
Law - St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh
Malcolm - Lanark - Greenoch - Renfrewshire

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 16 November 07 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Just to summarize (for my own benefit!) my understandings.  Please tell me of errors/omissions  :)  (I won't give spelling variations e.g. of MYERS and RHIND.)

Christopher MYERS was listed as 50 & not born in Midlothian in the 1841 census; 65 and born in Inveraray, Argyll in the 1851 census, and 76 at his death in 1858 - this gives a date of birth between about 1782 and (noting that ages were rounded down in 1841) 1787-1791.

There is a marriage of a Christopher MYERS & Marion LACHLAN in 1802 in Glasgow, and the birth of a Marion MYERS to them in 1803 Glasgow; taking the earliest dob, that would be a possible marriage for your Christopher.

Christopher MYERS m Margaret LAW (sic) 1820, St Cuthbert Edinburgh.
In the 1841 census the MYERS family was at 149 West Port, St Cuthbert as follows:
Christopher 50 Broker Born Scotland but not Midlothian
All the rest born Midlothian
Margaret 40
William 20 Labourer
Margaret 15
John 15
Elizabeth 12

{There are a few other people called MYERS in the 1841 Midlothian census - only one born Midlothian (Mary 14 a Female Servant).  The rest are all born England - Elizabeth 15 Female Servant; James 20 Malster; James 25  Wheelwright & Matilda 25.}

Margaret MYERS, father Christopher, married William (sic) RHIND 1853 South Leith, Midlothian

John (sic) RHIND & Margaret MYERS had:
Margaret Low (sic) Mar 1854 b S Leith
All the rest born Leith
Elizabeth Frances Sep 1855
John Christopher Myers Sep 1857
Jane Douglas Jan 1859
William Myers Jan 1861, d 1862
William Myers Dec 1863
Agnes Georgina Sep 1867

John RHIND was the informant of the death of his father-in-law, Christopher MYERS, in 1858; no details of parents (or marriage/s?).

Margaret (MYERS) RHIND d 1898 age 73.

It would be interesting if you were to give relevant details from OPR entries/certificates which you hold - just in case anyone can spot anything else worth following up (e.g. witnesses?).

St Cuthbert Monumental Inscriptions are supposed to be at the following site but they won't load for me:
http://www.scotsfind.org/

The Library catalogue on the Family Search site indicates that St Cuthbert burials to 1854 are on film - might be worth a look in case there is something for Margaret (LAWS/LOW) MYERS ...

Regards,

JAP

Offline MalGordon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Malcolm Myers 1945
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 16 November 07 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello JAP,

I think you have it pretty well there. Christopher was interred at Rosebank Cemetery, Edinburgh. It shows him as as widower.  The OPR for the wedding of Margaret shows her residing at 16 Mitchell Street, Leith  with John Rhind.

I checked the monument inscription at St. Cuthberts but there were none with the name of Myers.

I am still uncertain about the marriage to Marion Lachlan, she was born in St Cuthberts too, so that triggered my interest, even though the wedding was in Glasgow.

I have requested films from the local LDS center but they are taking a long time to arrive. Hopefully when I get a chance to study them I might get more information. They should give me information on a couple of weddings.

Until then I can just potter along and maybe find a few little bits and pieces.

Cheers,

Malcolm
Greaves Sussex/Durham

Offline MalGordon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Malcolm Myers 1945
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 04 February 08 06:20 GMT (UK) »
I am still not having much success with finding more information. However I was talking to a cousin who thought that the family originated from near the coast in the border region. He was of the opinion that he had been told that all the old records had been destroyed. I am still looking and have another cousin to contact who might have a little more information.
Greaves Sussex/Durham

Offline dm1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 09:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the tangent (new member, can't PM), but MalGordon, I was looking at your list of surnames and wondering if you are looking up the descendants/ancestors of William Myers and Elizabeth Malcolm in Geelong - if so, I would love if you could contact me at (*) as I believe they might be my g*3 grandparents...

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.