Author Topic: Will Santa give me coal for this one???  (Read 1186 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Will Santa give me coal for this one???
« on: Friday 24 December 04 15:37 GMT (UK) »
My husband has been begging me to start his family tree.  I have told him that I would like to get a handle on mine and then I will help him.  To be truthful I do not get along with his parents.  They are conservative midwesterners and I am a liberal east coaster. (You know who I voted for in the last election  :)).

Any how, yesterday for kicks I looked up a few things on his family to keep him quiet.  it is Xmas and all.  Well, there looks to be quite a few skeletons in the closet.  This makes me want to continue on with the research.  You see his family parades themselves as paragons of virtue.  It seems that this is far from the truth and they really should not judge others.

I think Santa will be giving me a stick and a rag for Xmas for having such fun in seeing all the skeletons in my husbands tree.  I am sooo bad but it is so fun. ;D
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Will Santa give me coal for this one???
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 04 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Well, the lovely thing about Family History is that you never know what is around the corner.  Rich people can have ruffians for ancestors and ruffians probably are descendants of nobility.

I have my own fair share of all sorts but you may end up envious of your husband's family as I know so much more about my ancestors who were in prison for manslaughter than the ones who were law abiding.

You are lucky if your other half is interested in family history, my wife has no interest at all.  I found that a couple of her ancestors were married in NOrwich Cathedral in 1705 and all she said was "Oh."

Happy Christmas.

Teddybear :)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 December 04 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Well if Santa gives you coal... we will boycott him next year...

I would love to find some skeletons on my in-laws lol...:D....

Best wishes on your searches and do keep us up to date on the digging

have a good christmas and a wonderful new year...
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 December 04 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Nutkin, looking forward to hearing about what you uncover - should be really interesting ;) ;)

Please do keep us posted.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND EVERYONE ON ROOTSCHAT

Jan ;D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 December 04 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Nutkin, do keep us posted :D

Merry Christmas

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 December 04 19:48 GMT (UK) »
 :D  It is fun to assist in blowing away some of the stuffy cobwebs .... my own sister in law has hardly spoken to me since I found out that her family once lived in a house called "The Gutters" before moving up in the world to another called "The Boggs"  (British humour  ;D )

Have fun.  :o