Author Topic: Skeen or Skean ancroft  (Read 2385 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Skeen or Skean ancroft
« on: Friday 19 October 07 11:46 BST (UK) »
I have Elizabeth Skeen born 2.10.1840 Spittal
( d 17.10.1893 ) Berwick

Daughter of William Skeen b 1773 Ancroft
c 13 10 1773 Ancroft
d 25 5 1855 Kiln Hill Tweedmouth

I have his wife as Margaret Anderson b ??.??. 1774
d 1 7 1846 Kiln Hill Tweedmouth

Is this Williams wife
this is from a chart someone gave me and now I have another relative who seems to think this is not correct
Also I would like to find more of Elizabeth's sibling's

glad of any help
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Skeen or Skean ancroft
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 07 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

There's something not quite right here  ???

This appears to be your family in 1841.

HO107/318/9  Folio 30  Page 19
Kiln Hill, Tweedmouth

William SKEEN 67 Fisherman Y (born in County)
Margaret SKEEN 67 Y

But no daughter Elizabeth born 1840 - the above Margaret is more of a Grandmothers age  ???

To confirm Margaret's surname before her marriage to William SKEEN you would need the entry from the Parish Marriage Register.

Here's the 1851 Census entry.

HO107/2421  Folio 185  Page 30
Kiln Hill, Tweedmouth

William SKEEN Head Widr 77 Retired Fisherman Northumberland Ancroft
Elizabeth J SKEEN Daur W 46 Northumberland Tweedmouth
Robert Skean SKEEN Grandson U 15 Brass Polisher Northumberland Tweedmouth

The entry definitely says Elizabeth is W (Widow), but records her surname as SKEEN.

Regards

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 October 07 16:53 BST (UK) »
I have Elizabeth Skeen born 2.10.1840 Spittal
( d 17.10.1893 ) Berwick

According to the IGI the date of birth is 2 October 1804, which makes a bit of a difference  :P

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 October 07 17:42 BST (UK) »
Nice one Jennifer - that's a bit better!!

Regards

Helen K

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 October 07 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

If you do a parent search at the IGI search page you will find eight births and baptisms, all siblings of Elizabeth, which took place at Spittal, Northumberland.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/igi/search_IGI.asp?indid=&spouse_id=&color=blue

To do a parent search enter William Skeen as father, Margaret as mother then select Region, Country and County.

Regards

Helen K

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Helen and Jennifer I have passed on this information to a relative in GenesReunited
He has our Margaret as Margaret Nesbit I was given her as Anderson b 1777

I was given a chart some time ago from someone who also is searching this family .So I took it to be correct and never search it myself

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 22:38 BST (UK) »
HelenK and Jeniffer ,

I have gone back into this thread and I see I had Elizabeth Skeen b 1840 I am sorry it should have been 1804

I was given a chart about this family when I first started my family tree and I had entered William Skeen married to Margaret Anderson from the chart
Now I find a William Skeen married to a Margaret Nesbit
IGI .Also a relative from GenesReunited has Margaret Nesbit
I see you have to find an entry in the Parish Marriage Register
How do I find this

Elizabeth

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 October 07 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

First of all I'd be asking your contact on GR where they got the marriage information from and has it been proved.

It's usual to start looking for a marriage in the same Parish as the first child was baptised and if not found there then search surrounding Parishes.  The IGI has 9 children baptised to your couple at United Presbyterian, Spittal, the first in Nov 1797.

This link takes you to the Genuki page showing where Church Records are held for Tweedmouth.
  http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Tweedmouth/ChurchRecords.html

It appears that there are some marriage records up to 1798 for Spittal Presbyterian - a good starting point.  Would it be possible for you to visit the Archives at Ashington?

Regards

Helen K

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks HelenK

I am just home from a weekend away and picked up your letter
.I have been in this site before  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Forgot about it

Elizabeth