Author Topic: Am I just too touchy?  (Read 8770 times)

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Am I just too touchy?
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 28 October 07 09:59 GMT (UK) »
This topic certainly made me think!   Had I properly thanked folk who helped me on RC?
And recently I thanked someone with a quick "cheers" -  but I did thank them properly with a PM.
Then, on the other hand, a psychiatrist friend  recently pointed out to me that I had been over effusive with my thanks on one topic - seems to do so could be construed as a "control" thingy.
So there ye go - as the Americans would say .........."go figure"! ;D

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 28 October 07 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Psychiatrists commenting on our behaviour on RC!!  Good grief, as psychiatrist Lucy would say on Peanuts!

Post as you wish on RC!  Help as you wish on RC.  Your choice!!

But never, ever expect thanks for anything you post on RC (or anywhere else) - it was your choice to post.  Of course it's lovely when people do post thanks.  But silly to complain if they don't.  You didn't have to respond.  Please do forget about it and please let go  :)  And don't get self-righteous.

Yes, I notice those who take things for granted and don't post thanks - and I tend to ignore their future requests.  My choice!!

Regards,

JAP

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 03:48 GMT (UK) »
I need to revisit my replies to be sure but I think (and hope) that it would always be more than a 'one worder'.
In these days of text messages and abbreviated emails it seems to be the norm to keep things short.
However, it is not appropriate when someone we don't know spends time searching for us to say "cheers" or "thanks".
It takes no effort for an intelligent person to turn the response into an appreciative sentence.

And as for getting no response at all.... >:(

Dave

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 07:01 GMT (UK) »
I think you all deserve a jolly good pat on the back for all the help you're prepared to give and the lengths you go to in the search. I have read hundreds of threads before and since I have joined and have gleaned so much useful information from other people's requests. Sometimes I think I am going round in circles (ever decreasing?) visiting any and everything and see the same members often being ever helpful and enjoying being involved. I see friendship, commitment and addiction etc...  mostly :) :) :)

However I know what it likes to feel invisible...somedays I can walk to work and greet and smile and even speak and be totally snubbed but it is usually the opposite which is what you expect. It is always nice to be recognised though, especially for your efforts.  I'm sure most people are extremely grateful for the help you all give, I most certainly am so thankyou and cheers :)

I like Christopher's take on the cheers and shouting a drink for being helpful 8)

Mare
quietly observing ;)
quietly accumulating :)
quietly sensitive too sometimes :(

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Just caught this thread, and would like to say that any acknowlegement is worth having, different people have different ways of expressing thanks.

As JAP says it's our choice to do lookups and I enjoy the searching, but a 'no reply' for me is more frustrating than annoying, it's always nice to know that the hours you spend (sometimes) were useful and that you've helped put someone on the right track.

Barbara   :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK