Author Topic: Am I just too touchy?  (Read 8774 times)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Re: Am I just too touchy?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 October 07 00:15 BST (UK) »
I have to admit that sometimes after getting information from fellow rootschatters, I get carried away and forget to say thank you.

Rude I know, but I do try to remember...
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline stokepoges

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 October 07 00:31 BST (UK) »
I go with Trystans philanthropic approach. If you work from the premise that:-
Never expect people to appreciate what you have done.
But ALWAYS appreciate the work of others!

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 October 07 06:17 BST (UK) »
I think we have had a number of discussions on this issue. Often folks will not know how long it takes to find something - I have sometimes spent 20 minutes looking for census information - only to discover Tati had found the same information in less than 5. I do like to get a reply (Everyone likes thanks for their efforts in all spheres of life) - but I tend to think any thanks is good.

Sometimes the best thankyou is when someone else spends lots of time helping you  :)  :) which is the big plus of roots chat - that usually happens  ;D

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 October 07 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

I can fully understand where your coming from, but would also like to add, when I first started with RootsChat and in the chat room, people have looked up census information for me and other bmd's.....Although I certainly appreciate all efforts from people  to help me, I personally didn't realize until I myself had access to census information and have looked up for others, just how much time it can take. I don't think people realize the time involved looking through name variants,if necessary and at times searching with the littlest amount of information.  I myself ( in the beginning ) may have been guilty of believing you just put the names in and 'Hey Presto' it appears.

Hope this helps you to see that it's not that your not appreciated, we can just be naive. :)

Regards

lil growler

Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 October 07 06:52 BST (UK) »
Tx guys. I enjoyed reading this thread 8)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 October 07 09:18 BST (UK) »

This is a difficult one without giving too much away!  :-\

As Trystan said sometimes people find it hard to express themselves - I know for a fact that one person who might only express their gratitude in single words .. gave an awful lot of help to a friend of mine by email. Simply because the quantity of information was so great it would have been difficult to fit it all on here!  :)

I'm quite happy just to recieve an acknowledgement, any acknowledgement!  ::)  So if anyone out there feels guilty .. .. all 'ta's' will be gratefully recieved while there's an amnesty on - because I'll be chasing you shortly!  :D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 October 07 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

This is an interesting one.

Sometimes I am guilty of saying 'Cheers' but where I'm from it means 'Thank you' as well as it's more traditional meaning.   

But to not say thanks at all (however it is expressed) is very naughty!

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline skb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 October 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
An interesting question and interesting replies.

I think it's fair to assume that "Cheers" does mean "Thanks". So it can sometimes be difficult to think of something more to say, without appearing to be an over-effusive, slightly bonkers genealogy nerd. It's nice to receive an acknowledgment, however brief it might be.
Byers (Salford & London)
Stringfellow (Salford & Chorley)
Holmes (Manchester & Birmingham)
Goulding/Golden (Birmingham & Lincolnshire)
Bassett (Manchester & Salford, Staffordshire)
Child (Lincolnshire)
Belshaw (Salford)
Hallsworth (Eccles & Salford)
Vernon (Bury & Chapel en le Frith)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cavegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 October 07 18:03 BST (UK) »
I always try to say thank you as soon as I can - I'm relatively new to family tree-ing and to RootsChat, and I'm amazed at the kindness and dedication of many of the members of this site - I feel bad because, being relatively new I can't help out as much as I'd like to and so many folks have done a lot of searching for me. 

To my mind, it costs nothing to say 'thank you for your time' to someone if they've done something for you. 

I reckon I must be a bit touchy too - cos if someone just typed me a one word reply of 'cheers' I'd be a bit miffed off, lol ;).  But yep,better they said 'cheers' than no reply at all...

Dwyer - Rathangan Ireland
Loughran - Armagh
Gillespie -  Armagh
Rigby - Wigan
Finch - Preston
Crompton - Aspull, Farnworth
Gerrard - Wigan, Bolton, Westhoughton
Grime - Blackburn, Bolton, Hindley Green