Author Topic: COMPLETED Obit look-up for Sarah Ann Regelous 1936 Bethnal Green  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Obit look-up for Sarah Ann Regelous 1936 Bethnal Green
« on: Friday 19 October 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Would any kind Rootschatter be willing and able to look up an obit for the following person?

I don't have her death record but I do have her funeral card and the index page for her death registry and confirmation from the cemetery re. her burial place.

Sarah Ann Regelous
Died:  28 January 1936
Last known address:  9 Paradise Row, Bethnal Green
Death registered in Stepney District
Buried:  Manor Park Cemetery
Undertakers:  W. English & Sons, 469 Bethnal Green Road

I can't afford to purchase a copy of the cemetery record.

I'm hoping the obit might list her parents' names and her maiden name.  It probably won't list her brother, Henry George (my great-grandfather), who died in Canada in 1932, but if it did I would be over the moon with happiness.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obit look-up for Sarah Ann Regelous 1936 Bethnal Green
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 07 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Josephine,
                   do you know her date of birth?
there are two marriages on Freebmd which might fit(if she died young) Charles Regelous to Sarah Ann Rollinson 1905 in Stepney 1c 566
t'other one James Henry to Sarah Ann Bertrand Mile end 1900 1c 696,let me know what you think...
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 October 07 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Miss Hepburn!

According to my great-aunt's correspondence and photo album, Sarah Ann Regelous was the oldest sister of my great-grandfather, Henry George.

A kind Rootschatter (dee) gave me the details of Sarah's first marriage, on 13 February 1887 to Samuel Bertrand.   I have them in the 1891 census.  Based on FreeBMD, it looks like Samuel Bertrand died in 1899.

I purchased the marriage record of Sarah Ann Bertrand and James Henry Regelous.  I thought this would provide the documentation I needed but I was wrong.

St. Benet's Church, Stepney, London
16 December 1900

James Henry Regelous, 25, bachelor, carman, father = John Regelous, carman
Sarah Ann Bertrand, 30, spinster, father = William Thomas Bertrand (deceased), porter

(Sarah Ann George's father's name was William Thomas George and he was a poultry porter.) 

The witnesses were from the Regelous family.

I have James & Sarah Ann Regelous in the 1901 census.

A grandson of Sarah Ann and James Henry Regelous told me (via Rootschat) that his mother's birth certificate says that Sarah Ann's maiden name was Bertrand.  Also, FreeBMD lists Bertrand as her maiden name on the index listing for her youngest child.

So, that's why I need to see her obit (if there was one).  From the Regelous (objective) point of view, all the definitive evidence points to James Henry Regelous's wife being the spinster Sarah Ann Bertrand with no family connection whatsoever to my George family.  From the Regelous point of view, I'm probably some weird cousin wanna-be.   ;D

But my great-aunt knew her Regelous aunt, uncle and cousins personally because her family lived in Bethnal Green until some point after the First World War.

My great-grandfather's obit, in 1932, listed one sister still living in England.  If only it had given her name!

Sarah Ann Regelous's funeral card was mailed to my great-aunt (in Canada) from 9 Paradise Row, Bethnal Green.  My great-aunt lost touch with her Regelous cousins sometime after the 1930s.  She wrote several letters in the 1970s trying to locate them but with no success.

My great-aunt wrote on the funeral card, "My father's oldest sister".  That, to me, is pretty unambiguous.

Thanks again, my friend!
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 October 07 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Josephine,
                  A bit tangled your lot.....there are only two Sarah Ann Regelous births on FreeBMD one for 1848 and the other 1852,Ive seen the 1887 Marriage to James Henry...I'll have a look around..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 October 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
good grief the funeral directors are still there(can't paste the link though) I wonder if you emailed them, pleading and grovelling they might help you..

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 October 07 23:17 BST (UK) »
Oh my gosh, you are brilliant!

I will do an internet search to find them and then I will contact them.  I will post the results if they respond.

Thank you!
Josephine

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 07 23:50 BST (UK) »
I found their mailing address but no email.  I will send them a letter once your mail struck has finished (if it hasn't already

That just means I'll have to wait longer for a reply.

Thanks again!
Josephine

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 07 01:20 BST (UK) »
Another dead end!  I've been busy for a while and something started nagging at me, so I checked the photocopies I had made of my great-aunt's files. 

Lo and behold, she had written to W. English & Son, 34 years ago.

I have a copy of their reply, dated 4 April 1973, in which they wrote, "With reference to your query regarding Sarah Ann Regelous, unfortunately our records for 1936 were destroyed by fire during the war.  We contacted Manor Park Cemetery, and they inform us that the last interment in that grave was James Henry Regelous of 201 Larkshall Rd, Chingford, London E.4."

I don't know if the James Henry Regelous they mention was Sarah Ann's husband or her son.

Thanks, anyways, to Miss Hepburn for the excellent suggestion.  I had completely forgotten about the letter I photocopied several months ago (probably because I haven't filed it yet).

I really hope someone might be able to find her obit for me. 

Thank you.
Josephine

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 October 07 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Josephine,
                    no dates or ages given for James Henry then..
What you need is SKS to have a look in Manor park cemetery for you,my feeling for what it's worth is that it's her Husband...