Author Topic: McClelland, John  (Read 1329 times)

Offline garymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McClelland, John
« on: Saturday 20 October 07 15:15 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on parents or siblings of John McClelland, b. 1818, Co. Armagh, died March 1, 1859 in Holland Twp, Ontario.  He emigrated to Canada (Leeds Co., Ontario) in 1837 accompanied by his younger sister Jane. He married Margaret Blackburn in 1839 and settled in Leeds Co., Ontario near the town of Toledo.  In 1849, they moved to Holland Twp., Grey Co, Ontario.  Had children Samuel, Jane, John, George, William, James, Thomas, Joseph and Mary.
There is a remote chance John may have come from Shankhill Parish.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: McClelland, John
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 08 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello garymac,

A belated welcome to RootsChat.

What denomination was John McClelland? Was he a member of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), a Methodist or a Presbyterian?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline garymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 February 08 17:04 GMT (UK) »
To the best of my knowledge, they were Wesleyan Baptist.  This is the religion they followed in their early years in Canada, but I do remember a reference to the Church of England in another early census data return - it showed as C of E on the census return.  Other basic information not included in my first post was the fact that John McClelland received a good education in Ireland and that his mother died when he was quite young.  This information comes from a biography on one of his sons.  I know his father was still living in Armagh in 1854 as I have a letter addressed to gg grandfather John from a William McClelland in Co. Monaghan (assumed to be a relative -either a cousin or sibling) in which he asked about John's father.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 08 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello garymac,

Griffiths Valuation - Monaghan 1858-1860
William Mc Clelland, Tirfinnog, Monaghan. Monaghan
William Mc Clelland, Ballybay (Meeting House L.), Ballybay. Monaghan
William Mc Clelland, Fintully, Clontibret. Monaghan