Author Topic: Link - Meath Schools  (Read 6402 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Link - Meath Schools
« on: Sunday 21 October 07 14:56 BST (UK) »
Many children passed through the doors of Dillon's Bridge National School from the time it opened in 1860 until the doors were finally closed in 1957. Broken Link

The Loreto sisters opened the first Catholic School for girls in the Navan area in 1833. The Loreto Secondary School, St. Michael's, was founded in Navan in 1905 and there was a book published to commemorate the School's Centenary.

Click to read a few words about schools at Rathkenny. In 1799 Baron Hussey and his Lady were congratulated for their support of the schools by Dr. Plunkett, bishop of Meath. The article mentions that a hedge school was opened in 1834. Here the children learnt the basics ... how to read, spell and write. They also had to learn catechism (ie the fundementals of Christianity ... I wasn't quite sure of the meaning so I did some googling). Broken Link

St. Patrick's Classical School, in Navan, was founded in 1930 when St. Finian's College which was the Diocese of Meath's seminary, the main provider of denominational education for local boys, moved from the town to the new diocesan capital, Mullingar in Co. Westmeath.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Link - Meath Schools
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 07 15:11 BST (UK) »
  Thank's for that Christopher.  Nice change to get a link that isin't buried so deeply in the past. Dolly.
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.