Author Topic: Tompkins Family of Brighton  (Read 2020 times)

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
Tompkins Family of Brighton
« on: Monday 22 October 07 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Listeners

Can anyone help with the above mentioned family.  They were lessees of the Royal Tennis Courts at Brighton (also at Bedford Hotel) on Little Preston St during the 1840-1850's as well as famous Tennis ball and racket makers/stringers.  Edmund Tompkins(1826-1905) was champion "of the world" at Real Tennis in 1858.  His brother John (Born 1837)was at the Tennis courts and living in Wykeham Terrace in late 1850's and Little Preston St in 1871.  Also another brother Alfred (born 1833) was a tennis professional.  their father Edmund "Peter" Tompkins (1802-1863) was the lessee at the famous Merton St Court in Oxford, where the boys were born.

I have had trouble locating them in 1861 cenus.  They are all still alive and living in Brighton but I cannot find them at all, have searched until I'm cross-eyed.  Anyone got any bright ideas or has some information on this family I would be grateful.  Kellys directory of 1859 lists John as living in Wykeham Terrace, number 10, professor of tennis.  Having found Wykeham Terrace in 1861 census, its a bit cryptic, for number 10 and 11 it says "entered under schedule number 54 & 70.  Having looked under those numbers  there is no mention of number 10 and 11 Wykeham Terrace.  It is under Brighton, The Palace, district 16, fresh pair of eyes anyone!!!!

Thanks
Margaret

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Tompkins Family of Brighton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 07 14:22 BST (UK) »
I've had trouble with 1861 Brighton - not the same street, but the one I wanted had one side of the street missing it seems, altho there was no gap in the schedule #s .....

have a look at the Nat Archives for the PIECE number and see if there's any note (like 'wanting' ..... )

:)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 07 14:25 BST (UK) »
Will do, thanks for advice, glad, in nicest possible way, its not jsut me, beginning to think I was going mad.......................

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 07 15:45 BST (UK) »
This link identifies missing pages from the 1861 census.  Found it on the census discussion page on Rootschat  http://www.findmypast.com/resources/census/missingpieces.jsp

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
Jane

Thank you, 3 sheets/books marked as missing from the exact area I need, which explain so so much

Your time is very much appreciated

Margaret