Author Topic: Downe School War Memorial  (Read 1868 times)

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Downe School War Memorial
« on: Monday 22 October 07 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I wonder if someone knows if there is a war memorial in the school at Downe please?  I have emailed the school but they haven't come back to me and so I am now trying Rootschatters - as they get back to you!
I am looking for a Ronald Wheatley who died in the 1st WW and who might be listed, I'm wondering too if the school was around when he would have attended.  He was only 18 when he died in 1918.
I look forward to hearing if it exists.  Many thanks

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Downe School War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 07 18:51 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the
www.kentfallen.com site that is listed on here ?
Best wishes.....  Iris :)
Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Iris

No I haven't heard of that, will have a look, thanks for letting me know.

Regards

Hi Iris

A very good site but I couldn't find Downe War Memorial on it, I looked under Bromley too.
Worth a look though, I did find another ancestors memorial on it but not his name.

Regards and thanks once again

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Cranstone,

We do not know the Downe School you have mentioned, but if it is a Primary School there is a mention made on the Channel Four Lost Generation Web Site - with a name of "Wheatley, R" shown,

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/L/lostgeneration/search/p-results.jsp?nameList=60921

Regards,

Al & Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Al and Al

That's where I found it!  I have emailed the school but they haven't replied.  The war memorial doesn't appear of the above site either, so I wonder if it doesn't come under Kent?
Downe School is in Kent and is where he and his family lived.  I think his parents are buried in the church at Downe too, so it seems likely that there may be a memorial.  Hopefully someone from Downe will see this and know.

Thanks for looking though.

Regards

Offline alanh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 13:54 BST (UK) »
Downe comes under the Borough of Bromley and according to the Imperial War Museum's National Inventory of War Memorials is listed in

BROMLEY WAR MEMORIALS VOLUME FOUR RASON, PAUL NOV 1999 64-5   
Humphries - London/Kent/Shropshire King-Buckingham Moll- Norfolk Cooper/Rowe-  London Doughty/Allchin- Southwark Coates/Andrews -Glamorgan/Gloucestershire

Webmaster for Board of Trade Virtual War Memorial http://www.berr.gov.uk/about/about-berr/warmemorial/index.html

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 07 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan, I was beginning to think that was the case, thanks for letting me kniow.

Regards