Author Topic: Abraham ANSELL  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Our Kid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Abraham ANSELL
« on: Tuesday 23 October 07 13:55 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace Abraham ANSELL born 5th August 1849 in Stevenage, parents were Benjamin ANSELL and Jane RANCE.
I have his ancestors and I have the census and the whereabouts of Abraham (Abel) until 1880 when his last known child was born.

Abraham married Elizabeth Ann WHITTLE on 6th May 1878 in Blackburn Registrars Office, Blackburn, Lancashire and they had two children, Robert born 1878 in Darwen and Betsy Jane born 1880 in Darwen.

Abraham has disappeared by the 1881 census when Elizabeth Ann is living with the brother of Abraham, George Ansell.  George and Elizabeth Ann went on to have 9 more children, including my Grandmother and the name had become HANSELL.

I have never found a death for Abraham and I have not found him in any other census.  There is another Abraham born around the same time but this is his cousin.

As I live in Lancashire, I can't get to the Parish Records in Hertfordshire and I am very curious as to where Abraham got to.

George, Abraham and another brother William came north during the Ag Lab strike obviously looking for work.  William married in Holy Trinity Church in Darwen to Emma Carpenter (who came with them) and they went back to Stevenage where their first child was born before the 1881 census.

Any help with Abraham would be much appreciated.
Pauline

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham ANSELL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 16:35 BST (UK) »
This may seem silly, but have you traced George back to confirm that there is actually a third borther, and not just that Abraham changed his name to George between 1880 and 1881?

That is what occured to me as I read your post, so I thought I would share it ...just in case.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Our Kid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that but yes, there is a brother George.  I do have the family back with all the census.  Abel just disappears before the 1881 census and brother George takes over his wife! (My g-grand parents.)  I have never found a death for Abel/Abraham anywhere.
Pauline

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 08 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Opps ive just pm'ed you giving you some info i think you already have , my reading of things properly isant great , i tend to get a bit excited when i see a relative of mine on the screen .

Sorry , but anyway the last Ansell i have in my tree was last born 1897 , let me know if you want me to pass on info :)

Chelle