Author Topic: joseph dobson and mary a ?  (Read 5470 times)

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
Re: joseph dobson and mary a ?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
It could be Gorton - although Oldham seems a little out of the loop.  Worth considering though - thank you.

shouldn't worry too much about the areas. if you were to ask half the population today where leeds was they wouldn't have a clue and thats with modern education and media sources. back then Most people coudn't read or write and had to sign with a cross.Very few saw the sea in their lifetimes. Most information was passed down verbally   More than half my rellies in London have 3 or 4 differing locations for their birth place  ::)
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 April 08 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I notice, from one of your earlier messages, that the GRO were unable to find a birth registration entry nor could a baptism entry be found.

Looking at the 1881 census, it occurred to me that the Lancaster Dalton (for the place of birth of Mary E) relates to Dalton-in-Furness. When I saw Joseph's occupation as a miner, it reminded me of my own relatives who were Iron Ore Miners in the same area.

I then searched freebmd and found a registration for Elizabeth Mary Dobson, Ulverston district, Sep 1872. Could this be your missing relative, if you consider reversing the Christian names, aged 9 in 1881?

This does not help with finding the marriage, but it may confirm her mother's maiden name if you obtained the certificate (but you may not need to now).

It was just a thought!

Regards

Chris

Offline jsm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 April 08 08:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris.  I have - at last - found that her maiden name was Mark.  So that part of the puzzle is solved.  I will have another look at the Elizabeth Mary idea though.  I had someone who looked at all the Marys in Dalton in Furness, but came up with nothing.  Could be we needed to look for Elizabeths.

Thanks again.   Now it's on to the puzzle of Mary Ann Mark's father Thomas, who disappears in 1851 (and may, or may not have gone to Australia)  and the puzzle of which of the many Joseph Dobsons is mine.

All the best.
howse
law
pickering
dobson