Author Topic: 1841 census lookup for James Anderson  (Read 13774 times)

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census lookup for James Anderson
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 October 07 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Tom, sorry I posted a reply before getting your other information,
Catherine was married in St.Cuthberts parish and lived in 68 Potter Row, she went to New Zealand in 1859 with her Husband Daniel and all of the children except Anne and Elizabeth. I am wondering who the Christian born 1803 is?Is she James and Christians niece?The Anderson family will also take some working out, who's children they are,mayb e John Anderson's(he is age 30 on the 1841 cenus and still living with his mother and father James and Christian.
Sorry to ask again, but can anyone  find this family on the 1851 census.
Your help is really appreciated.

Sheila
Edwards Llanfyllin Wales Evans LLanfyllin Wales
Salmon(Lawrence)b.1847 Monaghan Ireland
Salmon(lawrence)1869 Darlington, died Stockton on Tees
Duffey Staffordshire
Morris LLanfyllin, David Edwards 1779 Llanrhaiader Wales

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 October 07 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Shiela,

Are you asking for 1851 census search for the James Anderson thet Little Nell found in 1841. Are you sure this is right James Anderson? Have you any proof that he is correct one?

I will have another look for them.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 October 07 12:42 BST (UK) »
I'm personally not convinced that I have found the right one - if an Anderson family is still living at 68 Potter Row in 1861, why not in 1841?  I've not been able to search by address, only looked at all James Andersons who might be or are cowkeepers.

Prior to civil registration beginning in 1855, I have not come across an address in the OPR quite so specifically.  (Perhaps that's because most of those I've looked for have not lived in the city!)  Was the address specifically in the OPR in 1834?  And Dean St is the other side of the castle from Potter row.

:-\
Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 October 07 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,  thanks for the reply, yes it does state on the marriage registration of Catherine Anderson to Daniel Fergusson that she lived at 68 Potter Row.

Sheila
Duffey Staffordshire

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 October 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Shiela & Nell,

It is Potterrow (all one word),  at no 69 Potterrow in 1841 there was a Helen Anderson aged 40 born Scotland and was a "Sanatic S Buainer" not sure what that is.

At no 70 Potterrow in the 1841 were Peter Anderson aged 25 a printer born in Midlothian, Lilias Anderson aged 25 a broker born in Midlothian. Family were Elizabeth aged 7, Helen aged 5, Lilias aged 3 and Catherine aged 1.

There were no more Andersons in Potterrow for 1841 census.

In 1851 at 13 Potterrow, there was a Peter Anderson a 28 yo Baker born in Perth, his wife, Jane 24 born Midlothian, they had 2 children Elizabeth 3 and Robert 1 1/2 yo.

At 25 Potterrow, there are 2 Anderson Lodgers, William a 16 yo Glass Cutter born Edinburgh and Johanna a 20 yo Shirt maker born Edinburgh also.

I have searched for another James Anderson and he is not there. Think we have reached a brick wall on this one, because the OPR did not give mother's name etc, I do not see how we will pin this down.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 October 07 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Tidybooks, thanks for all your efforts, will keep this information on the back burner for now, I will be visiting Edinburgh registry office in the new few weeks, will taake all this information with me.

Sheila
Duffey Staffordshire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 October 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Sanatic S Buainer

Erm, someone else has read that as Lunatic & Pensioner!  (not me, I hasten to add.)

Looking again at 1841, at 68 Potterrow there are three households.  One is William Dickson and his wife Christian.  Her maiden name would appear to have been Anderson.  William is a cowfeeder! Then there is Peter Anderson and his family plus a Janet McPherson who runs lodgings.

These Andersons could take some untangling.!

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 October 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Nell, is ther any chance of finding any Andersons in Dean Street,James or Christian on the 1851 census.

Sheila
Duffey Staffordshire

Offline ceejaye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 29 December 07 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shelia

I'm new to this so please bear with me.
My husband John is ggg grandson to Daniel and Catherine here in New Zealand. I have some info on both Daniel and Catherine. Not sure what you wanted?? I got much of this information from another researcher in NZ, so I have not had a chance to check it all out, but John's grandmother confirmed as much as she could remember prior to her death.
Cheers
Christine and John in New Zealand

CATHERINE ANDERSON
  Female
 Event(s):
 Birth:
 Christening:  07 MAR 1819   Newton, Midlothian, Scotland

Parents:
  Father:  JAMES ANDERSON  Family  Mother:  JANET COLLIERSource Information: Batch No.:  Dates:  Source Call No.:  Type:  Printout Call No.:  Type:

C116965  1786 - 1819  1067787   Film  6900797   FilmBIOGRAPHY:6th June 1841 Census of Dowally, Perthshire (Film 101905/10360): (In the second enumeration district - from the Burn of Dowally to the Burn of Kilmarick) Bolenluig:Name                         Age            Occupation                   If born in CountyDaniel Fergusson         34             Schoolmaster                       YesCatharine                     22DEATH: REF 365-368Death Certificate Catherine Fergusson 1819 - 1879, When and where died 7 March 1879 Temuka, Aged 60 years, cause of death Umbilitical Hernia, Mortification of the bowels, Last seen by Dr S McD Cumming on 7. 3. 1879, Parents James Anderson and unknown, Profession of father Dairy Farmer, born Edinburgh, Scotland, How long in NZ 20 Years, Where married Edinburgh, Scotland, age when married 15 years, to whom Daniel Fergusson, children 3 Males 9 females, Informant George Meredith (Son in law), Temuka.Temuka Cemetery Headstone reads Daniel Fergusson who died at Geraldine 20 April 1887 aged 82. His wife Catherine Fergusson who died at Temuka 6 March 1880 aged 61 years

Reference19043SurnameFERGUSSONForenamesCATHERINEOccupationAddressHUSBAND DANIEL FERGUSSON ACCORDING TO DEATH CERT BURIED AT TEMUKA
Age at Death
Date of Death23/04/1887(Is Daniels DODeath or close to it.)
Date of Interment23/04/1887
CemeteryTemuka Cemetery
DenominationPRESBYTERIAN
SectionC
Block
Plot125Arrived N.Z. in 1859 on the barque "CRESSWELL" with husband and family NZ Death Record No. 368/1879. TemukaExtract of entries in Old Parochial Register Parish of St CuthbertsMidlothian Ferguson Anderson - Daniel Ferguson Session Clerk of the Parishof Logierait and residing in the said parish and Catharine Anderson Residingin No 68 Potter Row in this Parish Daughter of James Cowfeeder there havebeen three times proclaimed in order to Marriage in the Parish Church of StCuthberts and no objections have been offered.Married on the Ninth day of September Current by the Reverend John Paul one of the ministers of this parish.