Author Topic: North Street cemetery, Anderston, Glasgow  (Read 5590 times)

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
North Street cemetery, Anderston, Glasgow
« on: Wednesday 24 October 07 10:00 BST (UK) »
m very curious about the large North St Cemetery in Anderston - I wonder who owned/managed it, what demoninations and areas it served, when the last burials took place?   What I know  from personal knowledge - the cemetery gates were on the east side of North St,  about 100 yards from where North St met Argyle St.
What I found with net searches - first recorded burial was in 1821, and when the Anderston Renewals happened in the 1960s,  the remains in the cemetery were re-interred, one version says in Daldowie Cemetery, another version says the remains were dealt with in the same manner as the remains in the churchyard of Anderson Old, Heddle Place, Anderston, moved to Linn cemetery.  Another version says only two headstones/memorials were moved from North St Cemetery to Linn.
Another factor is that there was a third cemetery in Cheapside St, Anderston.
Very little on the net about North St Cemetery - is it another Grahamston?
Anyone got any information, even corrections to the above?
Peter   

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: North Street cemetery, Anderston, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 07 22:45 BST (UK) »
Farmer
Have you asked on the Scotland boards about this cemetery?

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 07 22:52 BST (UK) »
you could contact either the parks and cemeteries office in Glasgow or the Mitchell Library Glasgow as they hold heaps of info about local history and records for all these kinds of things the Mitchell can be contacted via email and will return a prompt responce :D
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 07 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia and Nenny4,
I read a post,  asking where an ancestor who died in  Partick pre 1900 would be buried, that got me thinking.
Celia,  The Common Room seemed to be the appropriate place for my whimsical enquiry.   I figured if I was wrong, Admin would move my post to the correct place :)
Nenny4,  I was hoping maybe some local folk or folk with local knowledge might reply.
The best information I saw online was a discussion from 2000 on Rootsweb.
Thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.
Peter

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Bit more information from The Kent Road Primary School group on Yahoo -
North St Burial Ground was opened in 1821 and finally closed @ 1967 although discussions about the closure began in 1963.
There was a mass exhumation and all the remains were buried in Common ground at Linn cemetery.
There was one memorial transferred, that of Alexander Findlater, re-erected by Sandyford Burns Club in Section 26.
I find it strange that the name of the cemetery was just plain old North St cemetery, but there ye go.   Knowing the geography of the place, Anderson Old Church in Heddle Place must have backed onto it, shared a common boundary.
Peter