Author Topic: Grandmother - Majory DOHERTY  (Read 15565 times)

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandmother - Majory DOHERTY
« on: Thursday 25 October 07 16:39 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace back my grandmother Marjory Doherty can't find her birth anywhere .I have her marrying 1908 in Campbeltown Scotland age 22 to toby Wilder and then marrying again in 1915 in Glasgow Scotland to James Burns ,she has diffrent fathers name on both cert and she is down as a spinster.I would be greatful for any help

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 07 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Greendoor,

Do you have the censuses on your Grandmother? If so, what did they say about her birthplace and whom she was living with?

Perhaps that will clue you in on her parentage.

Regarding two different names for her father, do you mean different forenames or full names? I think she may do not know her father's name because of the illegitimacy?

Have you tried to see the list of all Doherty births for a particular county or particular town seeing any similar name to your Grandmother's within the range of years?

Also, you would have to consider about the spelling of the surname Doherty--it may be mistranscribed or incorrectly spelt.

Go back to 1891 and 1901 Censuses will help you to determine where to look for her birth entry.

Best wishes,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 07 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Greendoor,

There are only TWO Marjory Doherty in the whole Scotland-that is if you are using the soundex and the range of years from 1870 to 1890.

I need to know how old she was at her second marriage.

Also, have you her death certificate? It probably will tell us who were her parents.

I think you would have to tell us a bit more about her supposedly parentage and any helpful information you know about her in order for us to help you out.

Good start would be to start with any census information you may have on her.

Awaiting your reply with much interest. I will try my best to help you.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 07 17:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Greendoor,

I have narrowed it down to one birth if it is between 1880 and 1887 for whole Scotland for Marjory Doherty using the Soundex.

I think her surname was misspelt because Doherty was often spelt in many different ways.

Could you tell me what's her mother's name from her both marriage certificates? I will try and see if this particular birth entry is yours.

Regards,

Tees

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmother - Majory DOHERTY
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
On the first marriage cert 1908 she is 22yr and her father is down as Patrick Docherty (deceased)Mother Margaret Docherty (deceased)on her second marriage cert her father is John Doherty mother Margaret Doherty both deceased. I tracked this through my mothers death cert and there lies an other mistery

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 07 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Greendoor,

May I suggest that you copy my "methodology" of finding your grandmother?

Go to the SP (Scotlandspeople) website and type in Marjory Doherty and tick the soundex and choose the range of 1870 and 1890 for the years.

You will find that you have two possible candidates of Marjory whom may be your grandmother.

I can see that her parents' surname was spelt: D o c h e r t y on the first marriage certificate.

What's her age on the second marriage certificate as it will help us to know if her age has been consistent or not.

Have you really look for her in the censuses?? With this surname, we may be looking in the haystack for a needle...it is also an Irish surname.

Do let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Tees

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 October 07 15:49 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

recognise any of these names?

1901 census- 60 rose street, glasgow

patrick doherty...age 43...riverter...born ire
margaret...age 41...born ire
james...age 18...riverter's apprentice
patrick...age 14
margaret...age 10
michael...age 8

children born glasgow, could your majorie be indeed margaret?

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 October 07 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Tess
 I have been  on Scotlands People and they are not my Marjory I have found both of my grandmothers marriage cert on it and her age is 28 on her second cert
Many Thanks for your time

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 October 07 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Joker
Nice to hear from you again but that Margaret would be to young as my gran would have been about 14 in 1901