Author Topic: Grandmother - Majory DOHERTY  (Read 15571 times)

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmother - Majory DOHERTY
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 October 07 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe
As you can see I'm no further on since we last spoke except I found out she married again in 1915 and had my mum in 1934

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 October 07 16:01 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

found the family in 1891

1891 census- 12 crown street, glasgow

patrick...age 34...labourer
margaret...age 32
mary...age 11
james...age 8
annie...age 6
patrick...age 4
margaret...age 5 months

yip i see your still looking my friend, gonna be a difficult one as you can not be sure if the person who gave the parents names on the death cert gave the correct ones. i remember searching everywhere for your toby wilders and found nothing, did your grandma have a son maybe that she called after her father?

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 October 07 16:10 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

just re-read you post, if your gran remarried in 1915 it is 26 years of marriage before your mum is born, so there must be brothers and sisters of the marriage, is there another line that we could possibly go down?

Joe

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 October 07 16:19 BST (UK) »
 sorry Joe I seem to have hit a brick wall and no one to ask

Marie

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 October 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
do not despair pal,

have send you a pm,

there is a 12 year old marjory on the 1901 census living in stirlingshire with parent richard and mary.

Joe

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 October 07 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Greendoor,

You did not say whether you have your Grandmother's death certificate or not.

Now, I think we would have to check Ireland and England to see if your Grandmother was born there.

Glasgow was a popular spot for many Irish from the North of Ireland but well as the South (the Republic). My Grandmother was born in Glasgow--not many people know this fact in my family until I show them her birth entry.

However, she grew up in Belfast and remained there until her death.

I think you would have to find out when she passed on. Hope she did not marry for thrice which will only confuse us.  ;D

I will take another look at the English BMD indexes for you to see if there was a Marjory Doherty being born in appox. 1886.

Her age is consistent and she kept stating that her mother is Margaret which is a good indiction she knew her parents' names--I am not sure as to why she named her father a bit differently--perhaps one of the names was his nickname or middle name?

It is a bit shame that she did not name her mother's maiden name which will make things a bit easier...

Joekar--he is a very good helper!! You are in a good hand.  ;D

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 October 07 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tess
Thanks for your time and help I only have both her marriage cert and her mum is named on both as Margaret nee McGuire

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 October 07 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greendoor

I have conducted the search on Marjory's Mum--it seems there were only four deaths with the surnames of Doherty and McGuire in the whole Scotland.

If I were to narrow it down with the "M" letter for the forename, it dropped to two for the whole country.

But it is no guarantee that we have her death entry.

Interestingly, I went to the Family Search.org and found there were Margery/Marjory Docherty who got married to the same guy Patrick McGrearie on two separate dates in 1871 and 1874 in Ardrossan, Ary. Are they sisters or different couples with similiar names?

There is a Margery Docherty who was born on 11 Aug 1855 to a John Docherty and Bridget Kilday in Glasgow.

I am wondering if your Marjory may had mixed up with the names in her family--Patrick being her father and John being her Grandfather? I cannot be certain if they are yours.

The best way to go about is to get Marjory's Mum's death entry as it will tell us who was her husband (or husbands, if she had remarried) and her parents in order to trace her through the censuses. One of the censuses will show her with her children including your Grandmother.

Let me know what you think.

Tonight I will take a good stab at your family. Quite surprised you do not have your Grandmother's death certificate as it would tell us where she was at the time of her death.

Sometimes families will stay put in one place for years, other families do not.

Kind regards,

Tees

PS Some daughters/sons do not know their mothers' maiden names. Do not assume that all of the children would know their mother's maiden names. My brother once asked me what was our Mother's maiden name! I was surprised by his asking--I told him. From time to time, I would tease him about it.

Offline greendoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 October 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
The last place I have Marjory dwelling is Stirling Rd Glasgow 1932 -1935 and I have no track of her after that